I Forge Iron

Regulator, Will this work

jabies52

I have a Fairchild pressure regulator marked .5 to 30 model no. 10 pneumatic. Will this work with propane? It is new.

What is it originally meant for? If it's not made specifically for LP, propane might degrade the seals. If you can't find it in the specs, calling the manufacturer usually works. Other than that, looks like it would work fine.

I tried looking it up online... no mention of propane usage that I can see. Looks more like an air-regulator. Propane/acetylene can corrode seals unless it's made of the proper materials. I wouldn't recommend it!

If you're looking for something cheap, this seems to work pretty well...

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-7850-Adjustable-High-Pressure/sim/B000VXEW4G/2

or get the whole kit and caboodle w/ optional pressure gagues, etc.

http://elliscustomknifeworks.hightemptools.com/propaneregulators.html

I have a Fairchild pressure regulator marked .5 to 30 model no. 10 pneumatic. Will this work with propane? It is new.

The valve on propane and acetylene tanks are lefthand threads. They wont take n non fuel regulator. People do use acetylene hoses and regulators for propane and seem to get away with it. But you arent supposed to for the reasons kcrucible mentioned.

For the price of a proper propane regulator, $30 why take these chances? If your hose gets burned or cut while at full tank pressure thats a catastrophe. If the regulator seems to work but is slowly leaking propane, the gas can pool on the floor and flash suddenly. You wont like that either.

Thanks guys. I think I will put it aside and go with one made for propane. I have looked on Zoller Forge and he has the whole setup from the tank to the forge for 75 bucks.I am thinking of getting one of his sidearm burners also.Anyone familar with these?

Thanks guys. I think I will put it aside and go with one made for propane. I have looked on Zoller Forge and he has the whole setup from the tank to the forge for 75 bucks.I am thinking of getting one of his sidearm burners also.Anyone familar with these?

Easy to make, and pretty decent performance.

http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml

Larry Zoeller has been experimenting with this concept and has provided some examples of high quality Side-arm burners. Check these out if you want a good example of these very easily and quickly made burners. Paul Pirtle has also been working on these burners and has produced an excellent Side-arm burner, shown with "axial" choke installed, which performs extremely well across the entire pressure range. He has since replaced the cast iron test nozzle with a stainless steel nozzle so that it will not melt in his forge chamber. Please do not use cast iron. The following are a few comments Paul sent me regarding his excellent Side-arm burner. I include it here because the jet orifice information may be of use to you.

So, Ron's a fan of Larry's work.