I Forge Iron

Installing my 25Kg Anyang

The basic problem was this- the workshop is 1.5 metres higher than the road immediately outside. Between them is a 30 degree slope. The power hammer weighs about 950Kg and is slightly top heavy. There is nothing in the workshop from which to winch.

Step 1 was to drill the back wall in 2 spots- about a metre apart and immediately opposite the door and the slope. I had some 25mm bars with one end threaded and a ring forged on the other end. I passed one of these through each hole. To spread the weight better I used a 20Kg weightlifting disc as a washer on each. This gave me 2 eyes which were very firmly anchored through the wall.

Step 2 was a slight change of plan. Originally I had thought simply of winching from those eyes but I actually got some about 30mm hex bar which I threaded through the eyes and then winched from that. I thought that the potential bend in the bar would lessen the chance of a cataclysmic failure should anything get jammed.

The winch was a 2 tonne chain hoist which was happy to work laterally. A friend and I connected a nylon strap around the big casting on the hammer. This was then connected to the hook of the hoist. The hammer was on a pallet on the pallet jack.

Step 3 was actually doing the move! My friend pulled the chains most of the time and we managed to creep the big girl up the ramp. A couple of times we stopped briefly. At those stages we simply dropped the pallet so that inertia held it steady. Once we had to unstrap as the chains weren't long enough to do the move in 1 go. At that stage we simply roped the top of the machine to the bar from which we were winching. We could have simply used the tightener on the strap to finish the move but that would have been painfully slow so we stopped and ran the chain back out to full length. A bit of persuasion over ledges, the runners for the doors etc. using a 2 metre crowbar was the only other effort needed.

Step 4 will be (note the future tense) to get the hammer in place.

The point is that by following advice, working slowly and intelligently we managed to move the hammer up an awkward slope and have both lived to tell the tale.

pics or it didn't happen :D :D :D :D

Sorry Sam, lots of us don't have pics. A few yrs ago I bought a 3000lb shear.Was supposed to be 1500lbs.
Local wrecker set it in the doorway. Sitting on 8"X8" rubber pads. Had no camera man no help at all. moved that thing 15 feet and turned it 90 degrees. With a 6 foot bar. Last yr moved the guilds 1600 lb air hammer. 2 60+ yr olds moved that 7 ft hammer thru a 6 ft door. Again no pics no help. Didn't happen? Both need moved again. I'll hold the camera if some one wishes to move the items.Just picking on ya son. Its not what ya do or how a do it
it's just do it. "Yoda says there is only do or not do there is NO try"
Ken.

Sorry Sam, lots of us don't have pics. A few yrs ago I bought a 3000lb shear.Was supposed to be 1500lbs.
Local wrecker set it in the doorway. Sitting on 8"X8" rubber pads. Had no camera man no help at all. moved that thing 15 feet and turned it 90 degrees. With a 6 foot bar. Last yr moved the guilds 1600 lb air hammer. 2 60+ yr olds moved that 7 ft hammer thru a 6 ft door. Again no pics no help. Didn't happen? Both need moved again. I'll hold the camera if some one wishes to move the items.Just picking on ya son. Its not what ya do or how a do it
it's just do it. "Yoda says there is only do or not do there is NO try"
Ken.

Take a pic with your phone and send it to Sam.He`s REAL good at threading his way through the pic posting maze. ;)

We`d see a lot more pics if things weren`t a lot harder than they need to be for the computer illiterate (me) to post here.I have to wait for my sons to visit in order to post mine here.The only reason I know it`s extraordinarily tough is because that`s what my boys tell me,in much more colorful language.
Wonder where they picked that up from? :)