I Forge Iron

Couple of Appalachian hammer questions????

We'er starting to gather up parts for a Appalachian power hammer build. Got some of the harder stuff out of the way like the big 14" pulley and a 3/4" hp 1745rpm motor.
Ive heard of folks using a 1/2"hp motor for 25 pound hammers with no problem, do you think the 3/4" motor will drive a 35 pound head ok with good fly wheel weight? Im going to make the flywheel fairly heavy to make it easier on the motor (or Ive been told it makes it easier on the motor, runs cooler)..Also about how long would you think for the total leaf spring length 40" or so????Thanks

We'er starting to gather up parts for a Appalachian power hammer build. Got some of the harder stuff out of the way like the big 14" pulley and a 3/4" hp 1745rpm motor.
Ive heard of folks using a 1/2"hp motor for 25 pound hammers with no problem, do you think the 3/4" motor will drive a 35 pound head ok with good fly wheel weight? Im going to make the flywheel fairly heavy to make it easier on the motor (or Ive been told it makes it easier on the motor, runs cooler)..Also about how long would you think for the total leaf spring length 40" or so????Thanks

3/4 hp should be good for thirtyfive pounds. You can go to the little giant website and find a chart listing the wieght horsepower and SPEED in blows per minute that they used to build a multitude of hammers.

As to the spring length, If I were building an appalachian hammer (which I did) I would get in touch with Jerry Allen of The Wizards Forge, send him twenty something bucks for some simple yet complete plans. The few times I talked to him on the phone during my build were worth every penny of the cost of the plans, and I am very happy with my hammer.