I Forge Iron

Problem deciding and getting a coke forge (UK)

NecroSteel

Hey all,

I've been skulking around for a few months now but can't find a thread that completely answers my problem. Basically I'm a new blacksmith. I've been on a couple of three day courses but have had no metalworking experience prior to this. I loved it though so thought I'd try my hand at it as a hobby. Not wanting to annoy the neighbours or the wife I managed to get hold of a small workshop on a local farm. It's about 25 feet by 20 feet but I've only just access to it. My problem is that it only has a normal sized door and no windows! I also don't think I'll be allowed to install a chimney, especially since I'm only renting it and for a very small sum. So.. What do I do for the forge?

I would love a side blast forge without the hood but I've seen two types, one with a water cooler on the back and another without (sold by Vaughans). I was hoping to have is just inside the door but am a little worried about the smoke. I've ordered a 8" exhaust extractor with flu hose thinking that I could set that up next to the forge when it's running. What do you think??

Another alternative is to get a bottom blast that I can lift outside but then I'll have to run inside to use the anvil ( can't leave the gear outside as it's a prime site for theft..

Does anyone have any ideas please??

thanks.

get a gas forge?? :P Sorry to poke fun but you're going to have to sort some kind of exhaust system out either way- talk to the farmer about getting a window installed? or at least a vent where you could make an outlet for the extractor?

My old shop was in the bottom floor of a two story barn. I had no way to put a chimney through the roof and all that, so I put my forge right inside the door. To work i simply opened the large door and hoped the smoke went out. Usually it did, if the wind hit wrong it would come inside but i never had any real problem with it.

The barn itself was massive so it is possible that it made up for any smoke brought into the shop.

Later on i nailed an exhaust fan into the door from and it sucked all the smoke out for the most part. Just watch any wood surfaces i.e. door frame, ceiling...

Hey all,

I've been skulking around for a few months now but can't find a thread that completely answers my problem. Basically I'm a new blacksmith. I've been on a couple of three day courses but have had no metalworking experience prior to this. I loved it though so thought I'd try my hand at it as a hobby. Not wanting to annoy the neighbours or the wife I managed to get hold of a small workshop on a local farm. It's about 25 feet by 20 feet but I've only just access to it. My problem is that it only has a normal sized door and no windows! I also don't think I'll be allowed to install a chimney, especially since I'm only renting it and for a very small sum. So.. What do I do for the forge?

I would love a side blast forge without the hood but I've seen two types, one with a water cooler on the back and another without (sold by Vaughans). I was hoping to have is just inside the door but am a little worried about the smoke. I've ordered a 8" exhaust extractor with flu hose thinking that I could set that up next to the forge when it's running. What do you think??

Another alternative is to get a bottom blast that I can lift outside but then I'll have to run inside to use the anvil ( can't leave the gear outside as it's a prime site for theft..

Does anyone have any ideas please??

thanks.

Hi N, whereabouts in the UK are you? and have you seen the forges used at Westpoint and the portable ones the Guild uses at other craft shows and events, they are easy to make and portable. www.blacksmithsguild.com may be of some help to you.

There will be some being used based on the design for the bottom blast forges at the Dorset Show this coming weekend.

What fuel are you proposing to use? And what type of work are you expecting to be making ?

If you are intending to use coke, then a side blast with a water tank will be necessary, which then means you will need a water supply nearby, or go for a bottom blast forge, which also has the advantage of taking less floorspace in the workshop, and can be portable to enable you to take to demo's in the future.

A 2 foot square bottom blast forge is more than adequate to cope with materials you are likely to be using up to 50mm square or even 100mm x 12mm should you need to go to that size, normally I would expect you to be using smaller sections than those, but if you need to they have the capacity.
One easy way to solve the problem is to install an air extractor fan such as the ones Axminster Tools sell, sited on the wall/ceiling in the area of the forge, a flexible hose can be attached and fed through the existing doorway

With inclement weather this works well and negates the need to have fine weather before you can forge.

My own workshop is a tad smaller than yours, again with no windows, and for many years I did not have a chimney and just used the forge inside when the initial smoke from start up had cleared, occasionally I used a welding fume extractor to clear the air.

Hope this helps, and feel free to come to the next forge in at Westpoint on September 11th and 12th, if you require plans for a bottom blast forge, pm me through the guilds website, and I can send details back to you as an attachment.

Hi N, whereabouts in the UK are you? and have you seen the forges used at Westpoint and the portable ones the Guild uses at other craft shows and events, they are easy to make and portable. www.blacksmithsguild.com may be of some help to you.

There will be some being used based on the design for the bottom blast forges at the Dorset Show this coming weekend.

What fuel are you proposing to use? And what type of work are you expecting to be making ?

If you are intending to use coke, then a side blast with a water tank will be necessary, which then means you will need a water supply nearby, or go for a bottom blast forge, which also has the advantage of taking less floorspace in the workshop, and can be portable to enable you to take to demo's in the future.

A 2 foot square bottom blast forge is more than adequate to cope with materials you are likely to be using up to 50mm square or even 100mm x 12mm should you need to go to that size, normally I would expect you to be using smaller sections than those, but if you need to they have the capacity.
One easy way to solve the problem is to install an air extractor fan such as the ones Axminster Tools sell, sited on the wall/ceiling in the area of the forge, a flexible hose can be attached and fed through the existing doorway

With inclement weather this works well and negates the need to have fine weather before you can forge.

My own workshop is a tad smaller than yours, again with no windows, and for many years I did not have a chimney and just used the forge inside when the initial smoke from start up had cleared, occasionally I used a welding fume extractor to clear the air.

Hope this helps, and feel free to come to the next forge in at Westpoint on September 11th and 12th, if you require plans for a bottom blast forge, pm me through the guilds website, and I can send details back to you as an attachment.

Thanks John.
I've used both types of forges on my courses but I preferred the side blast best. I've not done any welding and don've have the equipment so probably won't end up building one myself so I want to buy one that'll last me years. There's a guy from Somerset on ebay selling a side blast (with water tank), one with a hood and one without. Do you think if I get the one with the hood, put it inside the door and then attach the 8" exhaust extractor to the hood that it'd be good enough?

I'll definitely see if I can swing coming to the iForge weekend on the 11th/12th - Is it at Westpoint Forge? .. I live near St.Neots.

P

Thanks John.
I've used both types of forges on my courses but I preferred the side blast best. I've not done any welding and don've have the equipment so probably won't end up building one myself so I want to buy one that'll last me years. There's a guy from Somerset on ebay selling a side blast (with water tank), one with a hood and one without. Do you think if I get the one with the hood, put it inside the door and then attach the 8" exhaust extractor to the hood that it'd be good enough?

I'll definitely see if I can swing coming to the iForge weekend on the 11th/12th - Is it at Westpoint Forge? .. I live near St.Neots.

P

I would think either one of those would be OK,

If you are going to attach an extractor fan to the hood, make sure it can withstand the temperature of the air going through it.

Westpoint Forge is the venue for the forge in, should be tools etc on sale there also.

With all the advice and comments you've made and my popping in and out of other threads I've decided to go for a bottom blast forge. It seems to be more portable and since I'm only starting out I can't see myself needing anything bigger for some time yet.

I had a response from Vaughans her in the UK but their prices have increased considerably and their square bottom blast is now about £963!! Clearly too expensive but I don't think I'm capable of building a forge myself. It needs to be made of metal and portable so I can pull it in and out of the workshop I have. I don't have the capability or tools to weld bits together.. I've tried ebay but never seem to see any on there. SO..does anyone know where I can get a solidly built bottom blast or where I can get one made? Would a local Fabricator be able to build me one do you think (if I got them the parts and a plan)?

With all the advice and comments you've made and my popping in and out of other threads I've decided to go for a bottom blast forge. It seems to be more portable and since I'm only starting out I can't see myself needing anything bigger for some time yet.

I had a response from Vaughans her in the UK but their prices have increased considerably and their square bottom blast is now about £963!! Clearly too expensive but I don't think I'm capable of building a forge myself. It needs to be made of metal and portable so I can pull it in and out of the workshop I have. I don't have the capability or tools to weld bits together.. I've tried ebay but never seem to see any on there. SO..does anyone know where I can get a solidly built bottom blast or where I can get one made? Would a local Fabricator be able to build me one do you think (if I got them the parts and a plan)?

I have a couple you can try before you buy if you wish to, one is 16" square, and the other is approx 2ft by 3ft, or I could make you one to suit as I have 3 firepots made awaiting a suitable application, even put wheels on if you want,

I have a couple you can try before you buy if you wish to, one is 16" square, and the other is approx 2ft by 3ft, or I could make you one to suit as I have 3 firepots made awaiting a suitable application, even put wheels on if you want,

Sounds like a perfect idea! Can you send me some contact details so I can give you a call tomorrow?