I Forge Iron

Help me with my blower

jtcweb

I've never had a hand crank blower before. I'm trying to take up forging again after 25 years. My first step is to work on the blower I got. It says "Canedy Otto Mfg Co - Chicago Heights Ill USA" on one side and "Royal Western Chief H" on the other. I am uncertain the last time it was used but the handle turns freely. It also says something like "Keep filled with Oil" so how much and what kind of oil? I assume the oil goes in the thingy sticking up on the top. I'm attaching some pictures or you can read about this effort at it's web page.

post-12400-055781100 1282788984_thumb.jp post-12400-045179000 1282788995_thumb.jp

The lighter the oil the less resistance when you turn the crank and the longer it will turn when you release the handle.
Mine had 90W gear grease like you would see in the rear end of a car when I got it and though it saved the gears from rusting after sitting all those years it was a real bear to crank.
I cleaned all the old lube out and replaced it with ATF and now it`s much easier to turn and a joy to use.

Yep, Mainely Bob is right ATF, Pour it in the thingy on top and wait for it to leak out the thingy on the bottom, these blowers leak quite a bit just put a rag under it and add more oil when you don't have a puddle under it, I would not fill it just enough to get the gears to pick it up and fling it

I have one just like that.

I think that as long as you get a drip of oil from the little spigot thing, you have it full enough. (read all of that text on the side).

It doesn't hurt to over fill one, but you'll get a lot of leakage from around the crank shaft when you do (at least mine does).

I agree with what has already been said... I was using chainsaw bar oil, but switched to something lighter (ATF or 30w).

Just remember that they are intended to seep a bit, so refill as needed.

Don

What does all the text on the side say about oil? I can read the line about keep filled with oil, but I can't read the second line.

I have one just like that.

I think that as long as you get a drip of oil from the little spigot thing, you have it full enough. (read all of that text on the side).

It doesn't hurt to over fill one, but you'll get a lot of leakage from around the crank shaft when you do (at least mine does).

I agree with what has already been said... I was using chainsaw bar oil, but switched to something lighter (ATF or 30w).

Just remember that they are intended to seep a bit, so refill as needed.

Don

It's something like "KEEP FILLED WITH OIL TO THE TOP OF THE COCK". I'll have to check to be sure.

I have always assumed that this means that your oil should be above the little spigot (cock). You can open it a half turn and you should get a drip. If it drips, you're good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that something like 80W transmission oil would be about right.
If the oil is too thin then it will leak. Remember these blowers were built in an era of low-tech. I have one like the one shown and oil is not that critical because you can never get it up to speed for very long.

Ted