I Forge Iron

Something for the sis-in-law

Ever since I set up my meager shop a couple of years ago, my sister-in-law has been dropping not-so-subtle hints that she wants me to make something she can hang on her wall. I finished this for her today.
post-4446-067618300 1280633212_thumb.jpg
The frame is 1" square tubing, the curvy 'stringers' are 1/4 X 1" bar, and the wavy elements on top are 1/8" aluminum plate. I tapped threads in the stringers and frame and fastened the aluminum with stainless allan-headed bolts. The frame measures roughly 4' by 20".

I took a flap disc to the steel and a scotchbrite disc to the aluminum to give it a little bit of a distressed look, then I clear coated everything.

I kind of winged it with no plans in place. That way, the final product is as much a surprise for me as it is for her.

Feedback is welcome.

Put feet on it, stretch a heavy screen across the back and that would be a rather neat fire screen.

Using a brass colored screen would make the polished parts pop, give it a bit of a sunrise feel. Maybe using a dark blue screen would give more a moonrise feel.

Phil

Hey, if the customer is happy, then you have succeeded. I know a good gift has to have meaning to both parties.

Phil may be right, this could be the first of a series. Expand, refine, explore the concept. Fire blue the tubing, use matching fire blued medallions behind the bolt heads, and the contrast would really pop. Use the motif to create an ensemble.

Phil may be right, this could be the first of a series. Expand, refine, explore the concept. Fire blue the tubing, use matching fire blued medallions behind the bolt heads, and the contrast would really pop. Use the motif to create an ensemble.

That's a good idea, but my sister-in-law wants something to hang on the wall. If anyone wants to run with the fireplace screen concept, please feel free to do so. ;)