I Forge Iron

A cast forge in a 30 gallon Barrel

Robert Simmons

Attached are some pics I hope you will like. The barrel was cut off by 4 1/2 inches on each side and then I put in the forms and cast. Now I have pulled the forms and am letting it cure and harden. Next will be the forge stand. The thing weighs probably 100 pounds. We will be whipping up a strong forge stand; Any sugestions for consideration? The forge is ready for three 3/4" burners. I will be welding 1 1/4 inside diameter pipe tapped for set screws to hold the burners. The castable is rated for 3000 deg and the doors will be insulating firebrick and it will all be lined with ITC100. Also I have some KAO Wool that i can use if I want to reduce the volume of the forge I can put a blanket inside over the arch to get more heat. The forge is pass through capable so that I can heat middle sections though I am going to have to find some way to cut the insulating firebrick to plug the hole and reduce horizontal volume. Finally the whole floor is 9" x 18". It should give me flexibility to do what I want. The castolyte at the top is 4.5 inches thick.
post-14357-012113500 1280540346_thumb.jp
post-14357-037489800 1280540360_thumb.jp
The burners angl to blow sort of at the tangent to the arch and swirl around and they are angled up to reduce heat backing up into them. Flares for the burners have been cast into the castolyte so I don't have to use other flares. I will just have to get in there and clean up the cones a bit.
post-14357-094757900 1280540376_thumb.jp
post-14357-057577300 1280540437_thumb.jp

It is a work in progress but I think it is coming along nicely. Yeah I know it is just slightly off center but nothing in life is perfect and there isnt a lot I can do about that now. Opinions?

• 3 months later...