I Forge Iron

trying to make a new hardy tool

I got a spud wrench from my son, who is an iron worker. It has an open end wrench on one end and the handle end is a long taper, down to about 3/16 of on inch. I welded a hardy post on the wrench end and made it so that it offsets slightly form the anvil I pounded out a piece of 3/8 inch square stock, flattened it and rolled it around my new stake. Made a pretty decent socket that way. I was just playing, but have a couple of wood chisels that I want to make and will put a socket on them with this tool. Good luck. :D

There are some good youtube videos of arrowhead forging that will help you. No need to weld or braze just forge the socket to a triangle shape and then roll it with an open slit. It is very helpful to have a cone mandrel to smooth and round the socket taper and for such a small item as an arrowhead it would be quite easy to just forge one yourself... you could even turn one by chucking a rod in a drill and spinning it against a sander or grinder. You won't need a hardy cone (although it might be nice)... a common technique is to use a short rod with tapered end as a holder while finishing the socket against the anvil.