I Forge Iron

Another tire hammer

HELLO TO ALL,
is this tire one of those spare tires that is solid?
also where did the spring come from, or what
would be a good one to use? good pics. the more
i look at the design of these, it would appear to be
very simple. i think i now understand the operation
of the spring, and the mechanism that holds it.
good luck to all.
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

The bearing is a agricultural type pillow block bearing from Tractor Supply. The housing was about $15, IIRC, and the bearing itself was between $10-15.
The tire is one of those solid spare tires. They're recommended because they are a lot tougher than an air filled tire.
The coil spring is one I found in my local salvage yard's iron pile, so I don't know what it is off of. I've picked up a number of springs over a period of time and just used the one I thought fit the best. The spring provides tension for the toggle arms and helps "kick" the hammer up on the downstroke and down on the upstroke. Just as you can have too weak a spring or too little tension, you can also have too strong a spring or too much tension on it.
I like to periodically scrounge around at the salvage yard even if I'm not looking for something in particular. You never know what you might be able to use at a later date.

Dale. You say that, as for solid tires, "They are recommended". By whom?
Are you refering to the car industry? Or are you privy to some information on tire hammers that needs to be shared? If this is the case, then it would be helpfull if you can list the source of your information as well.
Thanks.
Gobbler

I just did a web search on "solid spare tire" and only came up with a few hits for EXPERIMENTAL or alternatives to our "normal" spare tires...

Are you sure that there is no valve stem on that tire?

I've been working on cars for a long time and have owned over 200 different cars and NONE of them have had a solid spare tire...

For a while there were cars that had spares with folded sidewalls that had to be inflated with a can of air.

The space saver spares look like the one in the pictures here...

Sorry, "solid" was not an accurate way to put it. It's the emergency spare tire found in most cars today and it does have air in it.
They are recommended by 9 out of 10 tire hammer builders... sorry, just couldn't resist. :)
The following is a quote from ptpiddler (I hope he doesn't mind) regarding the use of the emergency tire. The quote was from a thread from Feb. 26, 2005 on Forgemagic (or maybe it was still Keenjunk at that time, I can't remember).
"Some builders have asked why we use the emergency wheels and not regular rims and tires. I did a project where I had to take the tire off the rim of an emergency tire--I could not get it off with my tire changer so I called my local tire store-- they said they had tried but could not get one off--I finally cut it off with a sabre saw. The tread is about 1/2' or more thick-the side walls are really thick too. Also the emergency tires have a radiused tread where as regular tires have a flatter tread. The radiused surface works better for the tire hammer because the drive hub is rotated into tire surface at an angle and the hub would make less contact with a flatter surface and tend to dig in unless you use a crowned drive hub and that means more work would be required to build the hammer-so just use the emergency wheel as they are usually free."
Whenever I plan to build something I like to collect as much information as possible before I start, so I do a lot of cut and paste. If it's a good thread on a subject I'm potentially interested in doing some day, I'll save it all to a Word file for future reference.