I Forge Iron

Propane Quick Connectors

nuge

I like using quick-connects for the convenience.

I'm going to provide a little more information than you asked for because of safety considerations.

The most critical (to me) consideration is to be sure the quick-connects have Nitrile seals (propane safe). Inexpensive quick-connects intended for air line use generallly are not safe for use with propane. Following that, it is important to use a safe set of procedures when you light and shut down your forge. Quick-connects can be dangerous if you are not careful with their use.

I use quick-connects at the forge end of my hose.... with a high pressure regulator at the tank end of the hose. All my fittings are straight-through connections. I never leave a hose charged with propane when the forge is not burning. I do, however, want the hose charged with propane before I start the forge, so I use a shutoff (ball valve) at the forge end of the hose (prior to the quick-connect).

Starting my forge....

My propane tank valve is ALWAYS closed when my forge is not in use.

1. Connect the quick-connect.
2. Shut the ball valve at forge end of hose.
3. Open propane tank valve (charges hose with propane).
4. Crack the ball valve a LITTLE bit while I light the forge.
5. Open the ball valve all the way.

I use a needle valve on the end of my burner (it needs to be propane-appropriate also). This allows me to pro-actively control the use of propane by volume (as opposed to pressure). The regulator stays cranked-in high enough to get the maximum intensity flame I want (I generally just have the regulator set at its highest flow capability).

Before I start the forge, I usually turn the needle valve down a little. After the burner is lit, I adjust the needle valve to the flame I want.

The regulator is there just so I don't have propane spewing out at tank pressure if the hose should fail.

Shutting down the forge....

I ALWAYS shut off the propane at the tank end of the hose (close the tank valve) with the forge still burning so the hose gets purged. Leave the ball valve at the forge end open.

Any quick-connects with Nitrile seals can be used.

I use Parker Hydraulic fittings. They can be purchased online (Google for them)... or from a business that assembles hydraulic hoses. Prices vary a LOT, so shop around a bit.

Parker part numbers I use....

Female 1/4 inch NPT threads
Parker BST-N2
Parker BST-2

Male 1/4 inch NPT threads
Parker BST-2M
Parker BST-M2M

If you use a needle valve, be sure it also is safe for propane use. I use ALCON Corp, part number JN1 needle valves. I'm sure there are other safe ones out there, but these work for me. JN1 valves have 1/8 inch NPT female threads. They sell larger sizes also.

This picture shows a 0-30 PSI regulator. I like using a 0-60 regulator to get the pressures I occasionally want (available at TSC stores).

Good Luck....

post-585-001245900 1278852595_thumb.jpg