I Forge Iron

New Cone and swage block

NeatGuy

I have seen several cones that size but never one with the tong groove. It looks very nice, all of the ones I have seen are hollow and have had a very visible casting seam on them.Is it solid? Good score. Swage looks nice also. How big is it?
Rob

I have seen several cones that size but never one with the tong groove. It looks very nice, all of the ones I have seen are hollow and have had a very visible casting seam on them.Is it solid? Good score. Swage looks nice also. How big is it?
Rob

The cone is hollow about 1"-1/2" thick.

The swage block is about 100lbs (12x12x4) (I did not weight it when I had the chance). I bought it because it came with a nice cast stand. The block itself appears to be for making bolt heads and is not hugely useful to me but one can never have too many tools.

The guy I bought it from also has a swage block which looks to be about 400lbs also with a nice cast base. He has asked me to make him a resonable offer for the swage block and an 8.5 in post vice. The vice looks like a Peter Wright but I was in a hurry and he was in a hurry so I did not get a chance to get a great look at it.

Any idea what a 400lb swage block would be worth ?

brad

a 400lb swage block would most likely go to a collector, Its to big for most of us to turn over by hand and thus not easy to use in a small shop.. depending on condition I would say $450-$650 retail..... The 8.5" vise if its in good shape could be worth $600-$1000 retail