I Forge Iron

Anvil I don't need

Ok, so I have this anvil I don't need or use at all. It weighs about 125 lbs. It has a flat horn, two hardy holes of different sizes, a pritchel hole, narrow face, and round clip horn. It has absolutely no markings what so ever on it any where. No name, size, weight, nothing. I'm wondering what kind it is and what it's worth.
post-14104-024432000 1276142192_thumb.jppost-14104-018686400 1276142213_thumb.jppost-14104-043167800 1276142235_thumb.jppost-14104-017926700 1276142253_thumb.jp

I cant tell if its a forged or cast anvil but it is defiantly a farriers pattern, Looks like its got a semi swollen bick.. I dont know that I have ever seen a farriers anvil with two hardie holes..

Anyway it looks to be in reasonably good shape. In my neck of the woods if its a good steel or wrought with a tool plate anvil Id say your looking at $200-$400 depending... it its cast iron maybe $75

I dont know who the maker is and its hard to tell what its made from in the photos... Its interesting though

I have an as new 125# JHM Journeyman with a similar shape, and it does OK for smithing. It will probably have more value to a Farrier than a Smith though. I got mine with a gas forge, stand, and 3 tool boxes of tools-- all for $250 from a retiring smith.

Prices vary in different parts of the country. In CA, and NV I have averaged $1 a pound on the 5 I have purchased over the years-2 in the past year. There is a thread -real prices of anvils. Post it, and see what you can get.

There is a great organization called OAA, Orphan Anvil Association which also goes by the name of IFI. They have many members who are willing to give orphan anvils good loving homes, no matter what their lineage is.