I Forge Iron

'Nuther side draft hood question...

So...

Got a 25-30 gallon drum (truck axle grease) and cleaned it out. I plan on using it as a side draft forge hood, as it fits nicely between the fire pot and the edge of the forge surface. I plan on cutting a round opening in it to draft smoke.

I plan on using 12" flue pipe, or 10" as a last resort. Is there any rule of thumb for dimensions of the opening? Should it be relative to flue size, hood size, or does it matter?

Measure twice, cut once, I suppose. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! 8)

Hello Elkdoc

I believe I would start with your opening on the small side since you are sort of designing as you go. I wouldn't know what size to tell you even if I knew all the specs of your setup, but when I built my forge hood it had too large an opening (also mine was an updraft). I narrowed the opening with firebricks until I got what I wanted. In your case since a barrel is relatively easy to cut you might want to start small because that would increase the velocity at the opening. Good Luck.