I Forge Iron

is rebar suppose to be this hard?

Rebar is variable and often made of re-melt/recycled steel. It is made to do a job and so long as it is good enough for that it is acceptable. Its basically a guess what you have metal.

Now, as for breaking it in your hand how did you harden it? What heat did you take it to and what did you quench it in. How hot have you had it, if its heated too much you can burn the metal making it weak. Did it ever get to sparking temperature?

If you answer some of these questions then some sort of considered answers will come your way.

Cheers

Rebar is variable and often made of re-melt/recycled steel. It is made to do a job and so long as it is good enough for that it is acceptable. Its basically a guess what you have metal.

Now, as for breaking it in your hand how did you harden it? What heat did you take it to and what did you quench it in. How hot have you had it, if its heated too much you can burn the metal making it weak. Did it ever get to sparking temperature?

If you answer some of these questions then some sort of considered answers will come your way.

Cheers

It does not seem to mater how hot it is when I quench it, I have quenched it at black heat and at bright red it makes no difference atall. No I have never berned the metal.

It does not seem to mater how hot it is when I quench it, I have quenched it at black heat and at bright red it makes no difference atall. No I have never berned the metal.

You can't harden from much below 1500 degrees, which to my eyes is a nice orange. So I'm starting to think there's something else going on here.