I Forge Iron

Weapons That Made Britain

blkbear

I don't know how many of you may be familiar with this show. I watch 3 episodes on the History channel yesterday - armour, sheilds and only saw bits of a one hour episodes on swords.
The show is presented by a fellow who trains actors and reenactors on the proper use of medeaval and other weaponry. Really interesting stuff.
Being metal workers we would find any one of these and most likely others interesting. Lots of information and tidbits on the development of weapons and armour which are directly related to developments at the forge.
Some of the things on armour was how sowmtime in the mid fifteenth centiry Italian blacksmiths and armourers figured out how to harden and then temper body armour. Now, I have not delved into blacksmithing history, etc but this really blew me away. In 1450 or 1460 something they figured out how to harden and temper the material they were using.
The sword eposide showed how, after figuring out the carbon would make iron steel and make it hard, blacksmiths would pattern weld iron/steel and carbon so that they would get a piece of steel with a consistent carbon content. This also made a handsome looking patern welded sword.

Lots of other interesting/fascinating info in these shows - including drawingf from the 14th and 15th century on how to use the various weapons that were available at the time. Much more sophisticated than one might imagine.

I highly reccomend this show.

Brian in Ottawa

Just remember that the History Channel is famed for ahistorical "factoids".

If you are really interested in the metallurgy of armour may I commend to your attention "The Knight and the Blast Furnace", by Dr Alan Williams whoes work on the metallurgy of armour sets the current standard! Another book he coauthored is on the Royal Armouries at Greenwich, a history of it's technology.

Thomas