I Forge Iron

Really am curious what these are...

Before I go to squishing this hammer...is it a hammer? The one end has a slight tapering back, and it not really that well balanced. Am wondering if something attached to it. I got this to make a pipe hawk and just dont have the heart to do it.

IMG_0710.jpg

and I have always seen these. One shape or another. I have heard 2 stories: 1-was used to make star chisels. 2- was used for making wagon tires. This particular one was a pic of someones tool in our smithing group who was wondering as well. I have not seen one like this where it was tapered.

071.jpg

Thanks!

-Rory

That Ball peen is a hand made machinist chipping hammer for driving a cold chisel. I have one it was hand forged filed and trued up on a lathe. the peen has a flat on the tip that was used to rivet and work in tight spaces. These hammers are not that common. Keep it and enjoy it.

That ball peen looks like the type that was made from around 1890 to 1910 and I'd say it's a keeper. Still not worth a lot of money but does show how far we have come down from making a nice looking product. There are a ton of newer ones out there than are not old and deserves to be converted to something better like a hawk.
That other tool has me thinking that it could be used to put a point on a digging iron or some other instrument of destruction. :blink: