I Forge Iron

Anvil inheritence

Been awhile since I last posted.Last week-end went to my in-laws for family work day. They are too ill to stay on the old home place so they moved in with a daughter that is an RN so they can have round the clock care. I ended up with the the family anvil that can be traced back a couple of generations. It was on the farm for several years while the family used it for their own ferrier work and minor metal work around the farm. I feel very honoured to have the old anvil passed on to me and to my son. To keep it in the family is the desire and wishes expressed from my mother-in law which we will do.I guess I need to post some pictures of the anvil. I did weigh it on some shipping scales. It weighs 176 lbs. and the writing says Armitage Mousehloe as best as I can make out. Would like more info if anyone cares to contribute. Do not know where the anvil originally came from or how it came to my wife's ancestors.

It came from England, it will be marked in CWT, age---well with pictures and a through description of all the markings we can reference Anvils in America and get an age range on it.

How they got it? They probably bought it at a local drygoods or hardware store.

Postman wrote a book about the Mousehole Forge you may be interested in.

Use it in good health!