I Forge Iron

Help me price a hammer I have for sale!

I'm selling a power hammer for a friends estate and havent yet decided on the price. Its a Bull 125 in perfect running condition.

I'd like to hear what you guys think. Compairable (new) Big blue 155 at $6200 and (new)Iron Kiss 125 at $7800 of course dont tell the whole story , but it seems a good point of reference.

It doesnt need to be a quick sale, the property isnt for sale and the space doenst have to be cleared quickly. We will be keeping the compressor in place and hooked up so it can be tested by possible buyers. My friends wife is the daughter of a blacksmith and having hammer sitting in the shop for awhile longer wont bother her at all.

Opinions? There is a 75 on ebay right now for $7500 but that seems unreasonable to me.

I'm selling a power hammer for a friends estate and havent yet decided on the price. Its a Bull 125 in perfect running condition.

I'd like to hear what you guys think. Compairable (new) Big blue 155 at $6200 and (new)Iron Kiss 125 at $7800 of course dont tell the whole story , but it seems a good point of reference.

It doesnt need to be a quick sale, the property isnt for sale and the space doenst have to be cleared quickly. We will be keeping the compressor in place and hooked up so it can be tested by possible buyers. My friends wife is the daughter of a blacksmith and having hammer sitting in the shop for awhile longer wont bother her at all.

Opinions? There is a 75 on ebay right now for $7500 but that seems unreasonable to me.

If it is a nice hammer in great shape I think $4000 is the target price. I have seen two sell and both where real close to that..

And the guy with one one on Ebay offered that machine to me for $3500.... I probably would pay that but I dont feel good about some repairs that have been done to the ram...

For that matter I would be interested in your hammer in the $3500-$4000 range... depending on condition, where its located and whats included....

you can find my contact info at www monstermetal dot org

I went to an estate auction last spring that had a Bull 90 for sale, I was planning to bid up to $4500 for it, but got it for less. I think that the Iron Kiss is likely a harder hitter, as it has a larger cylinder. It should maybe go for more. I have another Bull 90 that I got in 01 I think, they are good machines, they don't seem to hit as hard as the selfcontained hammers but I think that they are easier to do certain things with, so they have advantages and disadvantages. If it has an assortment of dies it may be worth more. Obviously it is larger than the 90, so that should add value, but most likely you are in a place with more options than here so that may subtract some value.

I didnt see additional dies there but its possible he had them. All the tooling and spring fullers are an exact fit for my Iron Kiss so I will be keeping them. If I find any more dies they would go with the hammer.

I will have his entire shop with me at Blacksmith Days in Westminster MD in 2 weeks. I'll check the classifieds here and if it is acceptable I'll post the list. I wont be moving the hammer till its sold and it will be under power till then.

One advantage to the buyer is we accept credit cards so that may help more guys be able to concider it.

It was a one man shop making furniture so the hammer has seen occasional use, not hard production. He mainly used it to create mortise and tenion joints in bar stools and tables.

Hi Kerry..

I tried to send you an email but it was returned stating "blocked by earthlink"

Anyway if you figure out what you need for the hammer let me know. I would be interested. My dad has a bull 125 and I had it in my shop for a few years. I have always thought it would be nice to have one of my own (to go with the other 5 power hammers in my one man shop :blink: )

Kerry, if the bull is near new condition is should sell for a near new price. $4000 is stealing IMHO. It will not hit as hard or as fast at full treadle as an Iron Kiss 125, guaranteed. And its mass ratio is not so good as the more modern Phoenix and Iron Kiss. And it is not a centered design; it is off-center like the old I-beam hammers that you are familiar with. I suspect 80-90% of a new Big Blu 155 is the highest price you can expect. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell it at a sacrificial price. I see the economy related to blacksmithing turning for the better.

Not sure why my email would be blocked. I'll have to check it. Ill drop you a PM with it.

John, I suspect $5500 is closer to where we are. Consideration could be made if the air compressor was purchased with it. Maybe the pair at $6500. 7.5 hp single phase 80 gal Speed Air with iron compressor head.

I'm having trouble finding any reference to pricing when it was new or prices for Phoenix. That was the main reason I listed IK and Big Blue.

No hurry and honestly if it sits past summer one of my regular customers will purchase it when he is working on this side of the country. His 50 LG needs a rebuild and he is considering his options.

Regardless of how things turn out, Kerry, bring your customer over to my place for fun and games when he is in town. Always happy to have guests.

Kerry,my wife thinks I should pick up your older Iron Kiss and rebuild it a bit. Seems like a good idea to me. How say you?

Lets chat at Blacksmith Days. I'll be there both to demo and sell. Id like to talk to you about ideas to convert it to using a height adjustment like the new ones. It really does get some hard use! What year was it built?

My customer actually comes into town and stays with us a week at a time in the fall. I'm sure he would love a visit to your place! He mainly comes here to weld billets of damascus to work from the remainder of the year. He was here for the first Fire and Brimstone event and is already an Iron Kiss fan!

Hi Kerry, I haven't been here for a few days. I found an old price for a Bull 125. They came with one set of dies and you needed to supply what ever filter regulator oiler, or they would sell you that for additional $$$$$$$$. Any how the sheet that I am looking at says $6,950 it is stapled to another sheet dated Jan 1 1999 so I suspect that the price is about that old. Maybe that helps some. I have a list of some of the dies that they sold with prices, if you find that he had several die sets I might be able to find what they sold for at about that time frame if it matters.

• 9 years later...
3 hours ago, 1kwstark said:

central ca

Welcome aboard, I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST  It is full of tips like editing your profile to show location because we won't remember it once leaving this post. For items that you want to sell, they should be posted in the Tailgating sub forum, just be sure to read the thread about posting there.