I Forge Iron

Satanite Refractory Mortar

Hey guys ive got some questions about refractory coatings.
First off ive used many gas forges, and built a few, so im somewhat familiar with them. All my forges have been metal shell with Kayowoll inside. ive just built a new forge and know that i need to coat the inside with some kind of coating, all my other forges were just left as kayowoll. The woll is about 1 1/2 inch thick. I plan to use satanite as the inside coating,how much satanite do you all think ill need to coat the inside. Also how dose everyone prepare this stuff? how think of a coating? how to mix it up? ext?

The forge inside is 4in by 4in and 6in long, + doors

Thanks everyone

ya my math sounded realy strange, I was thinking about it in this way 4in times 4in times 6in - time 4 walls. plus 6in times 6in times 2 doors

ahhhh i only divided it all by 12, not by a square foot, i knew something sounded crazy, only 1sft

Hey guys ive got some questions about refractory coatings.
First off ive used many gas forges, and built a few, so im somewhat familiar with them. All my forges have been metal shell with Kayowoll inside. ive just built a new forge and know that i need to coat the inside with some kind of coating, all my other forges were just left as kayowoll. The woll is about 1 1/2 inch thick. I plan to use satanite as the inside coating, there is about 14 square feet of space on the inside, how much satanite do you all think ill need to coat the inside. Also how dose everyone prepare this stuff? how think of a coating? how to mix it up? ext?

The forge inside is 4in by 4in and 6in long, + doors

Thanks everyone

Maybe I missed something, but with those dimensions, you have under 1 square foot of area to cover. Not sure what quantities it comes in but I would think a quart or Pound(?) would do it. I used AP's Green Patch 421. I mixed it to about the consistancy of a thin milkshake. A refractory smoothie :D I tried to paint it on but was too hard to get a good coat running so I used rubber gloves and smeared it on. I put two or three thin coats and probably ended up with perhaps a 3/8" thick. Hope this helps!