I Forge Iron

OT - Tractor Question

HWooldridge

This is way off BS content but I figure there are enough farmers here that I'll get some opinions.

We live on 12 acres and I square bale my property and two other parcels which are about 14 additional acres (this is contract baling for a couple of neighbors). I've owned a Ford 641 diesel for the past 15 years and it's been a good tractor but doesn't have enough power and/or gears to bale in heavy grass. In a dry year, it tends to do fine - but a heavy stand of coastal will tend to make me color the air blue with invective, i.e. I cuss it !@#%&*! to death... :angry:

I'm looking now because my neighbor wants to buy my old tractor to mow his property. I have a line on a Ford 5000 but it's on the upper end of my price range and I would still need to buy a shredder. The imports are out and I'm only interested in old iron such as JD, Ford, IH or Massey.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best mid-sized tractor to suit my needs and would anyone care to comment on the Ford 5000? It is in good shape and he's asking $7500 with no attachments. I think that's a bit on the high side especially with no cutter but maybe not...thx, Hollis

I used to frequent the Ford section of the Yesterday's Tractors forum - a lot. I have a 1955 655. I recall two things that apply here. The 5000 was generally regarded as the best of the old Fords and stay away from any Ford with a select-o-speed transmission. The select-o-speeds are great when they work, but once they start to go they are a real pain.

Hope this helps,
Bill

I don't know just how YOU define an import... but if it were me shopping I would take a real good look at what my Mahindra dealer has to offer. They are an Indian company but have three assembly plants in the USA. I looked at one slightly smaller than the Ford 5000 but around the same horsepower... BRAND NEW for just over $4,000.00 a year and a half ago (prices may have even gone down since). I understand that they used to make tractors for Case and are the world's largest truck manufacturers. I think their marketing system here is young yet... but they offer an interesting bargain! They got their start in the tractor business partnering with International Harvester back in 1963. They sell tractors on 6 continents today... might call them sort of a world wide brand now.

I did look at Mahindra as I have been told they were modeled after American tractor design but around here a brand new 55 hp 2 whl drive is $18K - I already called the local dealer. Maybe they are cheaper in your neck of the woods but my budget is no more than $7K.

I did look at Mahindra as I have been told they were modeled after American tractor design but around here a brand new 55 hp 2 whl drive is $18K - I already called the local dealer. Maybe they are cheaper in your neck of the woods but my budget is no more than $7K.

here's one in Texas used 148 hours 42HP for $5,750.Mahindra