I Forge Iron

home built pipe bender

Hallo mede Grofsmede,

The bending of pipes or tubing is something which comes up in my work from time to time and although I am aware of the traditional methods(filling tubes with lead or sand or freezing water in them and then bending cold) I would like to know if any one has as yet come up with a home built pipe bending machine.

I was a guest at Kevin O'Donnels Place the other day where he very kindly did some bending for me that i needed done on a very heavy duty tool which had a round table of 16mm steel concreted into the floor and uses old pipe flanges for dies.Pretty impessive and typically Kevin.Nicest guy I met in a long time.

This got me thinking about some alternatives and the ways and means of building something like this.I still need to go to some commercial outlets who sell these things and "steal with the eyes" as it were.

However i will probably find a colleague somewhere who has already been there and done that, which is the reason for this post.

Presently I am working on a four poster bed which requires some forming of tubes and this is what got my interest
going in the first place.
Anybody out there who can assist?
Blacksmiths greetings

Hermann (The Bear)

Slaat die yster terwyl hy warm is!!!

Hermann,

Don't know what size pipe you are needing to bend, Wall thickness, diameter, pipe or just tubing, but I have a book that I purchased that was published by David J. Gingery Publishing in Rogersville, MO USA.
The title of the book is How to Build a Pipe Bending Machine. It is a 48 page booklet with complete step by step illustrated instructions to build a pipe bending machine using simple materials and minimum of tools for use in your shop. I built one that I have bent a number of different sized diameter tubings with up to 2" in dia. and wall thicknesses of up to 1/8" thick.

It works really well and is easy to modify to suit your needs. I payed only $9 US for it and was well worth the money.

Check out their website at: www.gingerybooks.com

You can also Email them at: gingery@gingerybooks.com for information on availability of the book where you live.

Terry

do a seach on the hossfeld type bender, there are plans for one on the net.. ill try to find them

ahh found it...i built one

then make your tube dies......or anything else die for that matter

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/neatstuff/downloads.htm

go to the benders bit

• 3 months later...

what size pipes are you trying to bend? I have quite a lot of kit in my Kyalami factory and I just bought one in Dubai for a grand a few days ago It will be here in a couple of days, some of my mates want to copy it, I also have a Hossfelt that is easy to copy. Let me know?
I now live in Durban but I come up to the reef often. regards Ian

• 8 months later...

hallo Ian,
Thanks for your kind offer.I have since made contatc with an outfit quite close to here namely in Hedielberg called Strongman Tools who manufacture an Australian design.Nifty and very strong industrial type machine at an excellent price.
Got me one and problems are solved.
Thanks once agaain for your response
Regards
Herman