I Forge Iron

Tire Hammer

Hi Kids....

I have been scrapping for a couple of years and I now have most of the items I need to fabricate a tire hammer (at least it's time to start fabrication). I also have been collecting a few pictures and ideas from various folks as to how to put this thing together. Many folks have been very generous showing pictures and such.

What I am in need of at this point is some basic measurements of the components. e.g. ...the toggle/spring mechanism. ; distance from center of tire to pivot point; hammer travel; etc....etc...etc

Any and all drawings, more illustrative pics, and info would be very helpful at this point.

Thanks in advance,
DanL

OK sonny, here we go. At this time I am building one and have been looking and measuring and have come to this conclusion. There are no rules. i have seen 12 inch arms and 20 inch arms. Big springs and little springs. Leaves and coils. The only suggestions would be to go about two inches off center for about a 25 pownder and up to a max of three for about a fifty. Also, when the hammer is at rest, a one inch gap between dies is commonly seen. 120 to 200 max r.p.m. Now if there is more to be told, I would also like to know. I have a thread on this subject as well and am posting pics as I go. Lets both keep checking in. Good luck.
Gobbler