I Forge Iron

Blacksmith shop for sale, Canada

I spoke with a gentleman named Roy from Coquitlam, B.C. that knows Renato well. Roy is a journeyman blacksmith from Germany that moved to Canada some years ago. Renato patterned his anvils off of Roy's 1889 German anvil.

Roy is trying to sell off much of his equipment as he has lost the passion for blacksmithing. I told him I would mention it here.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/tls/1654086324.html

Sorry for the thread hijack. I noticed Renato was mentioned and it reminded me of Roy.

I spoke with a gentleman named Roy from Coquitlam, B.C. that knows Renato well. Roy is a journeyman blacksmith from Germany that moved to Canada some years ago. Renato patterned his anvils off of Roy's 1889 German anvil.

Roy is trying to sell off much of his equipment as he has lost the passion for blacksmithing. I told him I would mention it here.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/tls/1654086324.html

Sorry for the thread hijack. I noticed Renato was mentioned and it reminded me of Roy.

Is he really asking $10,000 for a anvil, couple vises a forge and some steel? Am I missing something?

Canadian dollars? maybe hit too many 00000'S, maybe he bumped his head

I talked to Renato about this guy over the weekend... He sounds like a heck of a guy and a heck of a smith... But it sure does seem alike a lot of cash for what he is offering... Especially at a time when shops are closing up, not growing...

I actually met up this fellow I was hoping to buy some tongs and hardies and stuff and check out the forge

he didnt seem too inclined to split it up

he said he was offered 2500 for the anvil but I guess it didnt happen

not that many people are buying this kind of stuff out in this area selling the forge for 1000+ dollars would be pretty hard

if he wanted to sell it all as a lot 5-6 grand would probley be a reasonable price

he could sell it all piece by piece over a few years and probley get the money he wants for it maybe not though

things arent exactly booming

I have gotten emails myself from guys with incredible skills looking for jobs as blacksmiths and fabricators

I emailed this fellow this morning and I must say that he doesn't seem interested in selling off parts at all.
I asked him if he'd sell the anvil and he said "just buy the whole thing and sell off the rest" He could have just said "no"...
And really, one anvil, a few vices, I don't see any hammers or other tools there. He says there is a "milk crate of hardies" but no photos.
No wonder he says "I'm in no rush"...
It's not worth the $10,000 he's asking, not even close. And yet, he's not willing to entertain reasonable offers.
Meh, I say look elsewhere for your blacksmithing supplies.

I'm actually a little disappointed that Roy doesn't make use of these tools. Based on his history and what Larry was told about him, I would assume he can produce some pretty amazing work. In an email he claimed that there is no appreciation for his craft. I told him about IFI and said there would be MANY people here who could appreciate his work, but it didn't seem to phase him. I thought if he found a group with similar interests it would encourage him to start forging again.

Anyway, I will be going out to B.C. next week to visit relatives. He invited me over to check out the anvil (the largest anvil I have ever seen was a 250 pounder, so seeing a 500 pound Brooks should be pretty cool in it's own right).

I came across this ad today, thought I'd pass it along.. I know this is close to you, Mark.

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-FOR-SALE-25-LB-TRIP-HAMMER-W0QQAdIdZ182631822

He's got a 25lb trip hammer and a 141 lb Peter Wright anvil.

I came across this ad today, thought I'd pass it along.. I know this is close to you, Mark.

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-FOR-SALE-25-LB-TRIP-HAMMER-W0QQAdIdZ182631822

He's got a 25lb trip hammer and a 141 lb Peter Wright anvil.

I have called this gentleman in the past regarding some of his tools. I feel he is asking a lot for the condition of the tools he is selling. I already have a trip hammer, so I can't justify spending $1200 for one that looks like it might need a fair amount of work.

• 1 month later...

I just received an email from Roy. He asked that I get some exposure for his ad on Craigslist again.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/tls/1723735025.html

I told him that the concensus was that he was asking too much and he told me that he is open to offers.

bout 600 for the anvil
- 200 for blower
-about same for leg vise (if its a big one )
5 bucks fo set of tongs

and going rate for scrap iron per lbs for the rest..

for 9000 ...it better come with the building :lol:

he's not in a hurry to sell.. thats a good thing... in about 400 years that stuff ought get to the price he's askin ( just my opinion )

Greg