I Forge Iron

Cylinder to tup connection

By running really high pressure on the lift-up side and moderating the pressure on the push-down side you can achieve extremely snappy rebound, but your hammer actually tends to be come weaker. Far better IMHO to put a big enough bore cylinder on the machine to begin with.

Yeah a bigger cylinder definitely makes sense to me but when I built the hammer I used a 63mm cylinder. I'm planning on revamping the Kinyon someday and will proably go up to an 80mm cylinder

Meantime, there is a way however to get the control of balanced tup forces and the more oomph of an unregulated down pressure.

I've rigged up a bypass circuit to the regulator. At small treadle openings the bypass is shut but this progressively opens as the treadle opens. At full openings the regulator is bypassed and the top side of the piston gets the maximum possible force.

There's a slight bit more plumbing and I'm never a fan of added complexity ..... but it works a treat.

I posted some info a while back in this thread

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/16031-improvement-to-kinyon-hammer-control/

You have REALLY got some toys stacked up in that small shop of yours!
Looks like if you ever have to scratch your back during a job you just need to take a half step back in any direction and there`s some serious iron to rub up against. :)

I`m curious as to how much time you have to spend clearing and juggling gear between large jobs in order to make it work.
You are obviously NOT claustrophobic.

You have REALLY got some toys stacked up in that small shop of yours!
Looks like if you ever have to scratch your back during a job you just need to take a half step back in any direction and there`s some serious iron to rub up against. smile.gif

I`m curious as to how much time you have to spend clearing and juggling gear between large jobs in order to make it work.
You are obviously NOT claustrophobic.

Actually I do think I have a touch of clautrophobia because I really don't like closing doors .... in all seriousness!

Yeah workshop size is LIMITING me big style. Being a one man band means I'm spending way to much time on non productive work. Need to employ someone but can't cos of space, or lack of it. You're right as wel, l I do spend a lot of times moving work around. Beginning to get to the stage where the rent of a bigger workshop would be cheaper than the time spent moving stuff around.

Mulling over a bigger shop but it's gonna be a major b***ache moving all my gear ...... there again I can get a bigger hammer ....and bigger press ...and bigger steelworker .... and bigger mill ....................