I Forge Iron

charity blade

junker

i made this blade for my senior project. i am having to place the blade on ebay tonight and 100% of the proceeds will be donateed to my highschool's senior project scholorship fund. with that in mind i am not overly happy with it. seeing as it's my first fully finished knife i am happy with it considering that. the blade is wire damascus with a very subtle etch the crossgaurd is brass, and the handle is deer bone. The whole knife was made to look like a primitive knife i once saw. the sheath is 1cm saddle leather sown with artificial sinew and my touchmark is tooled into it (seeing as i do not have my touchmark made) i tried to keep the sheath looking more primitive too, i used the standard stitch instead of a fancier one in order to keep it more primitive.

post-7865-12674080505637_thumb.jpg

post-7865-12674080755164_thumb.jpg

post-7865-12674080974554_thumb.jpg

post-7865-12674081179717_thumb.jpg

post-7865-12674081380126_thumb.jpg

post-7865-12674081525702_thumb.jpg

Surely it is a good looking knife and you put a great deal of effort into producing it. However, you are donating your time, skill and energy to provide someone else with potential scholarship money, an opportunity they might not have otherwise had. Was it worth the sweat and effort you put into it? I would commend you for making that effort. That is a part of being a blacksmith/bladesmith in my opinion. I donated a large installation of railing and sculpture to the Memphis Oral School for the Deaf in 2007. It was in the summer and it was hot, I cussed a lot about donating it. But then later I found out that 4 children received cochlear implants with the money they had not spent on handrails for their new building. By the way, it took them almost 6 years to raise the money to build their new school. My rambling on point is that the small gifts that you give can be multiplied with great effectiveness. Happy Forging, Big John

my problem is it is a kind of forced donation, any money you make during your senior praject HAS to donated to the senior project scholorship fund... or you fail, which means you fail highschool. i was told for a personal experience project with a finished piece to sell i needed to make 200 dollars, the knife is not worth 200 dollars, ill put it on ebay to see how much i can get but the rest has to come out of my own pocket.

my problem is it is a kind of forced donation, any money you make during your senior praject HAS to donated to the senior project scholorship fund... or you fail, which means you fail highschool. i was told for a personal experience project with a finished piece to sell i needed to make 200 dollars, the knife is not worth 200 dollars, ill put it on ebay to see how much i can get but the rest has to come out of my own pocket.

Nice looking knife! That seems rediculous though that you have to give the money to the school.

i actually ended up posting the knife on etsy.com. this website seems to be a more one off friendly site with prices reflecting that. and yes it is rediculousto have to pay to pass your senior project. please crutique my knife and state what i could do better next time. (this is a link to my store on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KassikForge )