Jump to content
I Forge Iron

What have I got?

Recommended Posts

A buddy of mine works at a rail yard.
He brought me these (seven of them) saying that they are the clips that hold the brake shoes on train cars.
They are about 12 to 14 inches long, 1 inch wide, and 1/2 inch thick at the bent end.
I stuck one in the fire and straightened it out, mainly to find out how it would hammer, and decided they might make a nice starting place for a knife. It actually was very easy to work.
At first I thought they were some type of spring steel, but he told me that when the need to adjust them they just lay em on the track and whack em.
Any train guys out there that know what they are composed of?


Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are brake shoe keys, we make 1000s of them each year.
They are normally mild if they are double tapered, or 1045 if they are tapered on the thickness only with parallel sides ours are anyway. Not sure what the specs would be for US but would be really suprised if they were spring.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...