I Forge Iron

1 piece, 2 piece?

A one-piece hammer would be much easier to install.

Most, if not all, two piece hammers would require multi-level bases or foundations.

Generally, I would expect one-piece hammers to have a lower ram to anvil weight ratio, with the result possibly being less efficient forging.

If you are an amateur and expect to stay at a hobby level, IMHO, it probably won't make any difference to you. Beyond that, considerations might be availability, cost, site suitability... and your long term expectations about efficiency.

A one-piece hammer would be much easier to install.

Most, if not all, two piece hammers would require multi-level bases or foundations.

Generally, I would expect one-piece hammers to have a lower ram to anvil weight ratio, with the result possibly being less efficient forging.

If you are an amateur and expect to stay at a hobby level, IMHO, it probably won't make any difference to you. Beyond that, considerations might be availability, cost, site suitability... and your long term expectations about efficiency.

Since all the self contained hammers I have ever owned (or I should say that I put to work in my shop) where one peice I am probably not qualified to answer... But I rarely ;) let my lack of qualifications get in the way of doing something

A one peice was considered a "Light Duty" hammer and I think primarily they where sold for applications other than heavy "three shift" production work.. Like a navy ship or a repair shop. I am pretty sure that even the most severe current day production blacksmith would be considered light duty for a Nazel or Chambersburg and the same should hold true for a Anyang or other cast semi steel hammer ( the Nazel one peice was cast steel, my understanding is the frame is 4140) Anyway I think there is a sacrifice in performance with the reduced anvil weight but personally the ease of set up and transport of a one peice more than makes up for it... I don't own my own building, and will have to move my hammers at some point, In about an hour I can have both my hammers in a diffrent spot in my shop and operational ... In 4 hours I could have them across town and operational ... try that with a two peice :)