I Forge Iron

My first forge

elkhvac

Hi all-

I'm a newbie. I have been wanting to get into blacksmithing for along time. I now have started building a forge. I have about 10 hours into it now. I'm trying to get the duraboard and a few other parts ordered from Larry Z. Hopefully I'll start on the burners this weekend. :) Thanks for sharing so much info its been a BIG help.

IMG_6197.jpg

I think that 3 burners might be too much for that forge. I have a one burner and at 5-6 psi I am at 1923 deg. 15 psi I am easly at 2300.I could go higher, but I didn't want to burn my thermalcoupler out. Point being I think your going to have trouble without overfiring the iron.

Martin

I think that 3 burners might be too much for that forge. I have a one burner and at 5-6 psi I am at 1923 deg. 15 psi I am easly at 2300.I could go higher, but I didn't want to burn my thermalcoupler out. Point being I think your going to have trouble without overfiring the iron.

Martin

I have taken the into consideration. My forge will have 700 cubic inches so two burners i feel would have been marginal (i am building the burners myself). The burners will be independently controlled so i will be able to run it on one, two or all three burners depending on the heat required. thanks for the input

Gary

Gary, Which burner design are you using? Yeah the independent will help you have control over the temp. I didn't realize that was what you were doing. By they way the forge does look really nice.

Martin

Thanks Martin- I'll be building 3 sidearm burners for the forge. It should get to temp fairly quickly.