I Forge Iron

First Leaf

Here is a pic of the first leaf I have tried.

I started smithing as a hobby last July and have been an avid reader (lurker) of this site. I was encouraged to try the leaf after reading some recemt posts about the subject and the advice offered so freely by so many. There was a link to a Youtube video that I watched and followed. The leaf forms part of a steak flipper handle. I messed up the veins a little and need to pay more attention to keeping my work clean of scale however I was really pleased with the form of the leaf.

Apart from a beginners weekend that I attended most of what I have learnt is from reading this site and then trial and error. I have read with interest the comments about the new site format and have to say that I like it. Actually I couldn't care what format it comes in. The opportunity to learn from all you guys from around the world is invaluable in any format. Heck I couldn't care if it's writtenon the back of an envelope. The fact that Glen & Co take the time to provide it like this is icing on the cake for me. Well done guys you have my vote.

Bush Bugger - if you are reading this you need to get into the steak flippers. They seem to be pretty unique in Australia. I can't make enough of them for people at work. It's keeping me in charcoal and coke and has paid for a few nice tools as well.

post-7888-12624281704282_thumb.jpg

That does have a nice shape. One thing the fellow that taught me to make leaves showed on making the veins was once you have your initial hit in, put the chisel back in that grove and roll it to the outside, that keeps it nice and lined up as well as giving a deeper dimple in the outside of the leaf, which makes the edge of the leaf a bit wavy. We love grilling, so I better try to make the wife a steak flipper! (Yes, the wife does the grilling, heheh)

Mark