I Forge Iron

Help 'blueing' with OA torch

Want to use the torch to 'blue' mild steel but can't seem to get the effect that I want. I've tried a brazing tip and cutting tip. Problem is that when I try to blue close to a previous spot, I loose the coloration. On small pieces, I just end up overheating and loose all the color. I've played with keeping the flame close to the surface and far from the surface. Do I need a rich or lean flame?? I know that this is simple enough but I just can't seem to get it right and do it consistently....Any ideas?? THX

It's easy to get it too hot, too quickly - especially with an O/A or oxy-propane torch. Make sure the piece is chemically clean, sandblasting followed by power wire brushing is good then stop heating when you hit purple because the heat will travel. I use a rich flame and play the torch around from a distance of about 6 inches and just use the feather to color.

I've attached a pic of a cross I colored this way a few years ago. Some of the blues were quite iridescent.

20082.attach

I have done a lot of experimenting doing my BBQ tools.
1/4" cold rolled. Lots of twists, with forged handles and business ends.
Vinegar bath for a couple days, then wire wheeled, and wipped with acetone.
As stated above, must be real clean. Any oils of finger prints create HOT SPOTS that are a B**** to get out.
I clamp them up and start running the torch over them evenly on the entire length.
After 3 slow passes I start to see the straw color. I run one more fast pass then step back and watch. The blue will start and within 3 seconds the entire piece is deep blue.
I now either hit desired areas with a brass brush, or more heat in certain areas to get steel color.
It is real interesting to stop the heat at straw, then add just a touch more to certain areas to get to blue.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

How large is your piece too large for the kitchen stove top?
I sometimes put it on the propame stove burner and keep moving it around
Like it was mentioned earlier it is easy to get too hot heat it a little then shout off the burner. You can always ass more heat. Too much heat and you have to pollich and start over.
Some use a toaster oven if the piece is small enough