I Forge Iron

Champion blower rebuild

Don A

I've got a couple of the small Champion blowers... the ones that came afixed to their rivet forges. Both are nearly identical except for the mounting configuration. These are the ones that have a "figure 8" shaped gear box that is flat against the fan housing.

I want to take these things completely apart, probably swapping parts to make one real good one from the two (though I might end up with two good ones).

Anyway, I need to get the fan off the shaft. There is a keeper screw through the collar and it is out, but the fan still doesn't want to budge.

Do I need to get a gear-type puller of some sort, or are there any other tricks to getting these things off?

Thanks,

Don

Sometimes a simple question can prevent unnecessary destruction :D

On my 400 the bower fan was threaded on, with a jam nut on the outside. I would say start by soaking it with Kroil , Liquid wrench or one of the better penetrants WD-40 usually doesn't cut it. Give it a week or two to soak in, maybe re-apply every 2-3 days.

If that doesn't work, apply heat to the fan bushing while slowly rotating the shaft (to evenly heat the whole hub). Try to keep the heat out of the shaft, grab the hub with a wrench (IIRC there were wrench flats) and turn or hold the crank handle and unthread the fan.

If you look back through the discussions, there have been a few on rebuilding the blowers. There are a few of us that have done complete pull downs and rebuilds, so feel free to ask questions.

Enjoy,

Rich C.

Try a mixture of 50% Acytone and 50% automatic transmision fluid. I rebuilt a blower not too long ago and used this mixture and it helped free the bolts up. Coat the shaft of the fan with a paint brush and let it soak in realy good (a day or so), and repeat two or three times.

Thank ye, gentlemen.

We'll give it a try.

Don

On a side note, the reason I don't hesitate to ask simple questions is when I reflect back on those mechanical projects (usually a truck or a tractor) where I'm into day two or three of trying to get someting loose that needs to come out. After destroying several parts and tools, you ask somebody who says "it usually comes out fairly easy after you remove that little split ring"... hmm. Little split ring. Wish I'd have known that two days ago.

Sometimes overlooking the obvious can be a real pain.

I've got a couple tricks from the automotive world for things stuck to shafts:

1 -WD-40 is your friend. I apply it liberally every 48-72 hours for around two weeks before I try to remove something I know is going to be trouble. It lets you avoid problems rather than having to solve them.

2 - If you do use a puller and find it's still not working, when you give up for the day leave the puller in place and tightened and soak it again with penetrating oil. The force applied over time can work miracles, if it hasn't busted loose by morning a lot of times you'll find that the puller can magically be tightened a little more. And that means you're winning!

If you don't want to pay for the puller, you may be able to rig up the same effect in your vise. Good luck.