I Forge Iron

My blacksmithing setup

This is sort of a thank you to those who patiently took the time in helping me choose/purchase/look for a hunk of RR track, tools, etc a few months ago when I was just getting started with blacksmithing. I thought I'd share with y'all some photos of my work area. As you can see it's a bit thrown-together.. the usual brakedrum forge and RR track anvil that many others have gotten their start from. I'd love to build a proper forge some day, but for now, it seeks to do the job.

I found an old oak tree stump in my back yard that I cut a chunk out of, and mounted the RR track vertically on top of. I hang my tools around the edge. As you can see, they developed a bit of surface rust as I forgot to bring everything into the shed one very busy night (and it rained). Lesson learned.

Most of the tools I built myself, include the hammer, tongs, and fire poker. The roundstock tongs are not my work, although I wish I could take credit for them ... they were given to me by my uncle who knows a very talented blacksmith.

I decided to take these photos because my family gave me a nice NC Tools 112lb "Cavalry" style anvil for my birthday, and I will be getting rid of the (NOISY!) piece of RR track accordingly. Although the NC Tools anvil seems to be made more for farriers, it does a wonderful job for the kinds of projects I work on.

Again - I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in getting me off the ground. I've completed a few projects since I started, and I'm looking forward to working throughout the winter once I get a little shelter built! Pretty darned snowy up here!

19243.attach

19244.attach

19245.attach

19246.attach

19247.attach

19248.attach

19249.attach

19250.attach

19251.attach

Hello Fellow Edmontonian!

I wonder if you are a member of the WCBG? I know what you mean about the snow, and it looks like we are going to get some very soon. I have a little shop 8' x 10'. If you want to talk, learn more about WCBG, or exchange ideas I can PM you my number. Nice bunch of goodies you have so far.

Hello Fellow Edmontonian!

I wonder if you are a member of the WCBG? I know what you mean about the snow, and it looks like we are going to get some very soon. I have a little shop 8' x 10'. If you want to talk, learn more about WCBG, or exchange ideas I can PM you my number. Nice bunch of goodies you have so far.

I am not a part of the WCBG yet, but I plan to attend the next meeting (when is it again?) and perhaps join then. Great to see an edmontonian on here!

will pm :)

Glad that you got set up. Now the serious hammering can begin. It looks like you have a good setup. I didn't see a vise, but that will come. Now, practice, practice, practice. You'll be turning out items in no time. Good luck. :)

I've got a nice old leg vise that hasn't been bolted down yet.. I have a 4' piece of oak that I'm going to use as a support for it. And yes - after enough practice, maybe some day even the simplest door handle won't take me 10 hours! :D

Looking good BUT don't be in too much of a hurry to give the railroad the flick. It has lots of great curves and edges that are handy for lots of jobs. Move it to the side but not out the door.

Cheers

Good advice. That's exactly what I did - it's now seated comfortably out of harm's way. I didn't have it properly bolted to the stump, so it was more of a hazard having it there in the first place ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Having all of the textbook tools is nice, but not necessary. One time, when I was bemoaning my amateur setup, I watched a Nat. Geo. film of a smith in an African village forging spears for an elephant hunt. His forge was a hole in the ground, his bellows were two pots with loose "drumheads" on them that his helper pumped alternately to force air into the fire. His anvil was a stone and his hammer looked like about a 12" length of truck axle, all mushroomed out on both ends. He held it vertically in his hand like a pestle. He had no tongs and just wedged the metal into the end of a green stick. His spears were beautiful and the hunters used them to kill an elephant.
Skill, gained of experience, trumps fancy tools.

I was concerned that i didnt have a good setup as I am a begginer also but yours looks almost identical to mine. I do have an anvil that my dad gave me but it is pretty rough shape but I have managed to make 2 pairs of tongs and some hooks to hang my tools on. What are you using as fuel? wood charcoal? Hope you have a Happy Holidays.