I Forge Iron

No Weld Grinder Plans?????

Aikenvb

I have been considering building a 2" X 72" belt grinder/sander from the 50 page plans of the "No Weld Grinder" that are found on the "USA Knife Maker Supply" web site. Since I have the machines I will weld and machine the frame components but will buy the wheel assemblies. I am looking for any input in the construction or modifications that I might consider. Send Help.

I've been looking into it myself. There's a blacksmith on youtube who goes by "purgatory forge" and there's a couple of videos pertaining to making your own belt grinder. The most useful thing I've seen so far was where he took plywood and laminated it into a 2" thick plate then spun it to trim it into a wheel. The cost of larger diameter wheels is prohibitive but he was able to make a 12" diameter wheel out of scrap. Speed control is a very significant feature that doesn't get much mention. Cheap motors will be faster running so it's worth thinking about pulley's or variable frequency drives.

Have you seen the add in the tailgating section posted by Wayne Coe ...he is doing a workshop building these same grinders for just about what it would cost to build if you by all the parts from USKnifemakers. with modifications that he has added with a 4 step pully system for speed control

Rock Star: Thanks for your input. I saw the wooden wheel but didn't understand why, but now I do understand, thanks JP. jimbob I have met Wayne and traded with him at the Madison Ga and Sofa confrences. I did see his machine but didn't pay that much attention to it at that time. Now I understand that the grinder is mutifuctioning and will probably persuit the multistages to have it all.
Keep those card & letters coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all

YouTube - Inventive Knife grinder
Found this a minute ago, if you pause it around the 2min mark you get a good idea of the parts involved. multistage pulley, wooden wheel, metal wheel-to-shaft- interface, single bearing.

not sure what that metal wheel is from, but it seems a much simpler way to connect the wheel to the shaft than fabricating something Edited by JosephPrivott