I Forge Iron

Low pressure air

Has anyone attempted to use LP air (low pressure) 0-100 regulated down for the forced air on a coal forge? if so what pressures are you using. My thought is to regulate twice one constant at between 5-10 psi and a burst footpedal for increased heat when needed at a little more air. If i am way off base and compressed air will not work feel free to throw in your two cents worth. this would be substituted completely for a bellows or hand blower.

This has been discussed a few times here. Compressed air is a very inefficient and expensive method of blowing a blacksmith's fire. If a large compressor is already in place and driving a lot of other equipment, then it might be acceptable to tap off for a forge or two - but for almost every application, a centrifugal blower or bellows is much better.

You need about 250-300 cfm for the average coal forge and only about 1-2 psi. Although these two variables are related, a compressor is designed for relatively low volume at high pressure.

I tried it once for a high temp gas forge. Like said if I had had a large compressor running lots of tools it may have worked but to just run the forge off of the compressor, the compressor ran all of the time, just never shut off. Got real hot real fast, burned lots of gas real fast. Next burner used shop vac exhaust, worked great and could run for long periods of time, real hot.