I Forge Iron

Joys of Set tools...

Michael

I managed to get my hands on almost a dozen set tools, hot cuts, punches, a fuller and set hammer at a garage sale recently.Got a chance to try them out yesterday. What a huge difference punching holes and hot cutting are with a handled tool, rather than a long punch!!

It must be the added mass of the set tool, I cut the point off a RR spike with the hot set, a weighted chain holding the spike down and it was much easier to keep the cutter in the cut than with the hardy hot cut. Same with the punch. I haven't had the chance to use the handled fuller, swage or set hammer yet.

this is the third bottle opener made, out of the RR spike this time, it only took about an hour, instead of the two plus the prior ones took to make.

Michael

Thanks, me and my buddies were lucky to hit that sale when we did, the whole haul was a bit larger, including brace driven nut drivers, adze head, broadaxe, slick in need of repair and a very cool flywheel that will be the basis of a lathe. Most of the smithing stuff had been sold off already, only rusty post drill parts and some really big foundry tongs were left. The set tools were in boxes of hammer heads and by careful picking (and a current tetanus shot) the smithing tools made themselves available.

What looks like a "boadaxe" with a metal handle may be in fact either a hot cutting tool or a deck caulking tool for wooden boats.Hard to tell without a close pic of the edge.
The reason for the offset handle is to put your hands above the work and the end of the handle and the square to round section of the actual tool is so you can turn the tool to be either inline or 90 degrees to the handle.