I Forge Iron

New in NC

Pault17

Good Mornin'. I have been looking for people to talk to about blacksmithing, but everybody just says "ooh, you blacksmith? that's cool", but they don't know anything about it.

I almost accepted an apprenticeship in spain about twenty years ago, but chickened out. Then about a year ago, I literally stubbed my toe on the toe of a little heavily worn 75-pound anvil. I dug around a little and found a 40+/- pound leg vise that needed a little tlc.

I went online and, seeing as how I don't have a real space to make a "smithy", decided to start small and not too expensive. I built a couple of "bean-can" forges using a plumbers propane torch for heat. I have not been able to get it up to welding heat, but I can reach orange-yellow.

I have been practicing making hooks, sconces, candle holders. I even made a little humming-bird nosing into a flower. Basically, anything that can be heated in a chamber 4 inches in diameter and 10 inches deep.

Someday I will make a real charcoal forge and try to heat up some bigger metal.

You found the right place, Paul
Also, check out the chat. This forum and the chat is frequented by many, many talented smiths of all types, from blade smithing to farrier to just plain hobby enthusiasts like me. Can't say much for my talents tho LOL. This place, however is the place to learn.