I Forge Iron

How to remove main shaft from Fairbanks?

I am totally taking apart my Fairbanks 75# hammer, and I need to know how to take out the main shaft. Everything is off the front, and now I see the end of the shaft with a key in it and the flywheel. The key is totally flush with the flywheel and the main shaft. It was suggested to me that a gib puller could be used, but there is nothing to grab onto. I am starting to think that maybe the flywheel stays on the main shaft and the shaft pulls out the front with the flywheel attached. That possibility is supported by an exploded parts picture in Freund's book under Fairbanks hammers that lists the shaft and the flywheel as one part.
If it does come out the front, how do I free the shaft from whatever else holds it?

On every hammer I have done this to the drive pulley "slips" off, and the crank plate and shaft come out together.

If the shaft needs to be separated from the crank plate use a press.

One idea for pulling a key out is drill and tap a hole in the end of the key and use a bolt and spacer to pull it out.

Some thin tapered hardwood wedges carefully hammered between the crank plate and the hammer frame could be used to provide some gentle force to get the shaft moving forward.

PS
Isn't there a square headed set screw on the drive pulley locking it to the shaft ?
I'd say go for it, just don't break it.

Edited by Andrew T

Thanks for the tip Andrew T. I will look for a set screw and try loosening the set screw and pulling the flywheel/shaft assembly out the front. I sure hope it is that simple. I'll find a way to secure the drive pulley, if things start moving. My bushings have more play than I want, so this is necessary. I am also thinking about having a longer shaft made, so I can hang the motor down low on the back of the machine, rather than high up off the side.