I Forge Iron

Sold on Coal!

Okay, for the last couple of years I've been using charcoal for my fuel. I recently acquired a 3 gallon bucket of what I believe to be anthracite from one of my wife's friend's husbands who's dad used to be a blacksmith. I originally intended this "sample" of coal to be used for the heat treating of my homemade anvil, along with some charcoal thrown in--worked great. I have some left over, so this weekend I decided to do some scientific experimentation to see if I could successfully utilize coal in my charcoal forge (Lively style washtub type forge). My only concern was clinker clogging up the rather small holes in my tuyere, but figured that all I needed to do was to just dig down into the fire and move stuff to the side, which also worked. I then did something in this forge that I've tried numerous times with charcoal with zero success. I was able to forge weld!! I have a small "spoon" type thing that's about 12 inches long that I use for moving fuel around in the forge with that I put in the fire and let sit for about a minute or two, then I took another piece of stock that I had tapered down to a point in a previous forging session and let that sit in the fire as well. I immediately noticed the steel was able to achieve a yellow-white heat (which no matter what I have tried in the past, could not achieve with charcoal) and decided to "stick" the two pieces together. What happened? They stuck together, and as I removed the two from the fire and let them cool, they stayed stuck together!

So my problem now, is that although I'm coming around to actually liking the smell of coal burning, is that the only supplier in my area charges exhorbatent prices for coal. Also, the hamster on the wheel in my head started running about how I need to build a coal forge now (well, maybe that's not a problem!). I'm going to check some on-line resources for coal suppliers in my area, but does anyone know if I can buy either reasonably priced, or cheap coal in either the Sacramento or San Francisco areas?

-Chris

You can forge weld with charcoal...was the primary fuel before the use of coal.
Check with the CA blacksmith group about coal. I would think if you can get 4-5 folks interested you could buy coal in bulk and divide it up amongst them. Would take some research in locating a coal mine and the logistics of getting it delivered but would be much cheaper for sure.

you could try coke. I get it for free from a metalurgical analizing company. They go through so much, that they have to pay to have it hauled off. i pick it up for free, sometimes they even have coal. Research companies that analize coke for oil refineries.

Ironstein- you guys in the oil areas have all th luck free coke almost free sucker rod, sheesh! up north here we pay $600 a ton AND have to pick it up (locally).

chrisfrick-
Check out Welcome to Lazzari for coal and McLellan Blacksmithing for coke. Horse Shoe Barn's priceis $34.50 for fifty pound sack-http://www.thehorseshoebarn.com/farrier_forges.htm

At least one thing down under is both abundant and relatively cheap in Australia (fossil fuels) - not old blacksmithing tools.

I drive down the coast from Sydney every now and then and shovel up loads of coke at less than $50 a time (noting that coke is light weight so $50 lasts a long time for a weekend newbie).

Funny the first time I went down to the plant with shovel and numerous garbage bins in tow - I got pulled over for a random breath test on the way home - the young officer was very excited (hand moving slowly towards gun) to hear that the back of the wagon was full of garbage bins of 'coke' - until I did a little explaining.

Trevor

Thanks, guys. Fe-wood, I'm intimately familiar with the Horseshoe barn in Sac, but try to avoid the place like the plague due to their extremely high prices. I have a few farrier buddies that think the same. I buy the Lazzari charcoal all the time, and couldn't remember if they were the people down in the SFO area (suppose I could check the address on an old bag), and remember someone mentioning a coal supplier in that area. I've also checked out Penn Coal (or something to that effect) and found that they have 50# bags of bituminous coal for about $15. Problem is, I live in California and they're in Pennsylvania (or somewhere around there)--I was quoted just for the shipping, a price of $65 (which seemed high for something that can be shipped ground freight), and then started to make the Horeshoe barn look a little better.

As for forge welding with charcoal, I just haven't figured out the *right* configuration for a forge yet (keeping in mind that yet stands for You're Eligible Too). The Japanese have been making beautiful laminated blades for centuries using that as a fuel, and I'm still going to pursue trying to weld with it, but the coal just seems that much easier.

My father-in-law works as a piping engineer for a major oil refinery in the SFO bay area and I'll check with him to see if he knows of any sources for coke.

Still waiting to hear back from my wife's friend's husband's dad about filling up my pickup with *free* coal. I actually convinced my wife that she wouldn't have to look at it in the back yard, as I can store it in a pile behind my shed, so I've won 90% of the battle already!

-Chris

Edited by chrisfrick
added info

I got in contact with Lazzari and they're selling 50# sacks of bituminous coal from Kentucky for about $26. I have relatives that live about 25 miles from the Lazzari facility whom I visit about once a month, so I think I'll drop by and pick up a couple of sacks next time I'm down there. I'm still working on the free "yards" of anthracite from my wife's friend's husband's dad, which may put off my trip to Lazzari. I'd rather get it free, than have to pay for it!

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...