I Forge Iron

Advice on Flaring Nozzles

jmeineke

I'm having a tough time getting a 1:12 taper on a 3" section of 1" pipe.

Right now, I have minimal equipment - a MAPP gas torch, a hammer, an anvil and some Iron rod that I tried using to fuller the end. About the best I've been able to do is about 1/2 of an inch - just enough flare to make the burner work.

Here's what it looks like:

102_2401.jpg

And here's the flame that it produces:
102_2405.jpg

I don't think the flame is too bad, but it is rounded and not pointy like images of other flames that I've seen from the 3" 1:12 taper.

Do you think that this is good enough for a forge, or should I maybe weld up a jig to form a better nozzle? I've thought about welding some properly tapered 1/4" sections of bar stock to a rod and use that to fuller the end (like an arrow head, but with 4 sides). Don't know if that would work or not either.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Edited by wrkn4alivn

I was using a union on the end of my burner at first. That was just a step edge. I used it in my forge body a few times that way too. Your flame looks good. Stick it in the forge and it won't need a flare unless you are running at very low pressures, but your forge won't be glowing then. A poor flare shape can contribute to "huffing" but so can other things like wind. If you use a burner enough the flare will deteriorate and need replaced. I bought stainless flares from Zoeller, and have since been told those last much longer, but also eventually deteriorate in the same way.

Use it, make a new flare later.

Phil