I Forge Iron

Where to purchase stock - Hudson Valley, Berkshires

Hi, All. I've been picking up some scraps but would like to get some mild steel stock, too. Can anyone suggest a local place to buy some? Online would work, too, but I noticed that online metal hit you with a cut fee for pretty much any size stock. Any suggestions? This place is in Albany, METAL SUPERMARKETS - Buy Metal Online - Small Quantity Orders for Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Hot Rolled Steel, Cold Rolled Steel for Delivery or Local Pickup about an hour a way. Any one have any experience with them? What size/quantity/length etc. is good to start with? Hot or cold rolled? Thanks!

Edited by ofafeather

A quick google of Albany finds http://72.43.10.2:5080/about_us.htm
- Albany Steel, Inc
- Your Complete Steel Service Center
- 566 Broadway, P.O. Box 4006, Albany, New York 12204
- Phone: (518) 436-4851 or (800) 342-9317
- Fax: (518) 436-1458

and googling on Hudson Valley brings up:
- Teplitz-Middletown Scrap Iron & Steel
- 108 W Nyack Rd, Nanuet, NY 10954
- Phone:845-623-8080

I would also suggest checking your local phonebook(s). :D

Unless you can transport 20 foot lengths, or have a stack of full-length steel delivered to you, then you will probably have to pay someone to cut your pieces. At this point, I would suggest not worrying about whether it was hot or cold rolled.

Edited by UnicornForge

Thanks, UF. Any suggestions on what and how much to buy as a good general supply? My understanding is that hot rolled is usually cheaper but doesn't have as nice of a finish, which doesn't matter to us since we are working it hot? Am I correct in this?

Thanks, UF. Any suggestions on what and how much to buy as a good general supply? My understanding is that hot rolled is usually cheaper but doesn't have as nice of a finish, which doesn't matter to us since we are working it hot? Am I correct in this?

You are correct. Hot rolled has mill scale on it. Stop into a local supply house and buy up some cut-offs.

Hello ofafeather,

Check out the North East Blacksmith Association housed at Ashokan N.Y. The blacksmith shop there should be able to get you some steel, if not they'd be happy to give you the name of their local supplier. They are located just a bit west of Kingston NY. Website is

Northeast Blacksmiths, Home Page

If you e-mail the president (link on page), he'd surely give you some information.

Leo33-

Don't bother with the N.E. Blacksmiths-the shop is at the Ashokan Center-no stock there. I use Albany Steel, they deliver to my door-they also have a retail store that they sell all kinds of shorts and drops at good prices. If you are in Ancramdale, I don't know if they'd deliver to you. If they can't help you, tell me what you want, and I'll get it. Send me an e-mail or PM.
Mark

Don't bother with the N.E. Blacksmiths-the shop is at the Ashokan Center-no stock there. I use Albany Steel, they deliver to my door-they also have a retail store that they sell all kinds of shorts and drops at good prices. If you are in Ancramdale, I don't know if they'd deliver to you. If they can't help you, tell me what you want, and I'll get it. Send me an e-mail or PM.
Mark

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate the offer. My wife and I will take a trip up there at some point. There is also a Metal Supermarket there that has similar stuff. Don't know how they compare.