I Forge Iron

another whatizit

BT

I thought that is what it might be Jr. but the roller end had me wondering. The tire wrenches that I have seen prior to this one were all smith made affairs that looked like a mini canthook.

Here are a couple from the COSIRA book on wheelmaking.

554.attach

You are right again Jr. :-) I remember now the guy I saw using the mini canthook affair was putting fellows on a wheel. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever seen a live demo of a tire being installed.

Yes, I have my trailer shop set up behind the Snipe Run smithy (between the fire dept and the smithy). Jens Butler ( Oakwood Forge ) came there last year for the first time and I am very suspicious he will be there again this year. :) . We do have fun. Kieth Sommer is the Threshers smith in the snipe run shop and he is one heck of a smith. Stop by.

• 3 months later...

Its part of an old fashioned disc sharpener back in the days of horse powered machinery and small tractors, where the whole disc gang was put into a contrapsion that turned the gang slowly. and the tool in question was used in conjunction with another piece that held a cutting bit. The whatsit in question was used to apply pressure to the back side of the blade so the cutting tool on the otherside would cut. I found this one today stored in my aunts garage, he whole machine was there.

1423.attach