I Forge Iron

Lurker with burner question

Jreed

Hey all been lurking for awhile and am finally getting together all of my supplies for a forge. I have been looking at a few burner designs and found one that fits in with my limited tool inventory but wanted some opinions on this one that i found in the blue prints BP0191 3/4" Burner for a Gas Forge | Blueprints 100-200 in my research i have seen similar designs that have worked well for others. I know performance of a burner can change with the smallest change in design so I know it wont perform exactly like similar ones just looking to see if this will do for a 350cin set up. Thanks for all comments in advance.

One thing to consider when selecting a burner is where will you be using it. I do not have a workshop and work outside under a covered patio. I have experimented with burners similar to this style and did not like the way they behaved out in the breezy / windy patio. The ones I tried were a bit unstable and finicky when a stiff breeze kicked up. I like the sidearm style burner for the environment that I am in due to the stable operation in the sometimes windy conditions.

Any burner design that changes the direction of the intake air flow after the inlet (non-axial inlet) seem to be a lot more stable in the outdoors.

Just something to consider....

I don't know from cubic inches. How tall, how wide, how deep? What type of construction?

I am using a 5gal steel paint bucket with 2" of insulation on the sides 4" in the back (simply to take up space) cylindrical interior dimensions after insulation 7" across X 10" deep. KAOwool insulation with a coating of Plistix 900(sp?), heavy brick bottom, sealed rear( for now).

Brian
I have a shed that I plan on running this in so windy conditions are not a big concern but I can see how they could hinder performance now that you pointed it out.

Still new at this. Thanks for the imput. Edited by Jreed

I guess another question regarding performance would be....What kind of temps do you want your forge to reach and with how many burners? I have not used the Plistix coating that you mentioned, so I can not comment on how this helps with efficiency.

I would have to say though, with that volume, I would use two 3/4 inch burners.

I am hoping to be able to reach welding temps when working with under 1/2" material. I had not considered a 2 burner set up just wanted to start with one until I figure out what I am doing. Then I can move on to more complicated setups as I become more confident in my ability's to not screw it up.

I am really new to blacksmithing and have taken it up as a hobby to blow off steam in my limited free time at the same time doing some thing with a useful outcome. I started with a real simple break drum set up burning lump charcoal and am able to build and maintain a fire that way so that it will hit usable temps. My issue is that I am active duty military and depending where I am stationed such a set up is not very practical hence my interest in a gas setup plus it is more easily moved . I have been reading a lot on this site and finally feel that I understand enough of the basics to start asking questions.

Grant
I had been contemplating that same thing. That was going to be my next question but you beat me to it. Should I expect any issues as long as I keep everything to scale?

Again thanks for the patience with the newbie questions.

You could also install a second burner port and keep it wooled over till you are ready to make and install another burner. That way you have a ready upgrade with minimal effort. The coating will get crusty, but will take little effort to get through. This likely won't be affected by the burner size you choose either, as most arrangements I have looked at can handle a 1 inch or a 3/4 inch burner just fine. If you never install it, you spent very little on never to be used hardware.

Just a thought.

Phil