I Forge Iron

Bellows Anyone??

I would love to make myself a set of those........

The plans in the blueprints section make it seem very do-able.
IMHO, I think it's preferable to make/use new ones than to further degrade an original set of bellows.
Ditto about canvas over leather........A lot less expensive and not as likely to dry out and crack apart.

I read something different somewhere, but might have misunderstood. I have only ever seen what you described, one blow, one fill, then the other way.

How much volume would a set of bellows need to drive a brake drum forge? Is there a guide for bellows vs fire size? Kicking ideas around...

Phil

Phil, the Bellows that is on the forge cart that I use is set up so that when I pump the handle, air is forced from the bottom section into the top. The air then inflates the top section and also starts blowing into the forge. It continues to blow until the top section is deflated. If I am heating a heavy piece of metal, I have to pump the top section full and keep it pumped up as long as I need the heat. I hope that I explained that so that it can be understood.