I Forge Iron

Moroha Tanto

John Smith

Well I forged this little blade about a week ago and I finnally got it draw filled and ready for heat treat. I used Rutlands Black Furnace Cement, and this stuff works really well. Sticks well and stays put.

The steel is W-1 and the OVL is 14 1/2" with a nagasa of 9 1/2" and the nakago is 5" The blade is 1 1/4 at the mune-machi tapering out to the point. Putting the edge on this blade and trying to polish it the traditional way will prove to be a very interesting experience.

I have some images here for you to look at.

Well here is an update. I have been using my 220 grit synthetic stone, even though I am getting a set of natural stones by Monday.

I am atleast setting the foundation for the blade. Also I am looking for flaws or cracks, and there are none that I am able to see at this grit.

So here are a few images of the blade at 220 grit. At the Ha-machi where the mune is, I had taken just a little to much when making the natch there so I now need to buy some copper that is 3/16" thick for the habaki. More to follow.

dsc_0042.jpg

dsc_0043.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Comments welcome