I Forge Iron

First Big Forge

AmsterdamForge

Hey there,
I just spent the last few months working on this big(for me at least) forge.

I used a coach bus rim for the fire-pot, then welded 1/4" steel diamond plate to it to close up some holes, welded on some legs and supports, cut a 1 1/2" hole for the pipe, welded the pipe in place, added some wheels and I have an old electric blower rigged up to a power regulator.

Now I am just about ready to start it up but I want to make sure the heat is not going to melt away the welds that I made, they are solid welds (been welding for 5 years). I joined on here just to see people's opinions I was thinking about adding a clay and sand mix to the fire-pot to give it some insulation but I was wondering if that would be overkill or not?

Any tips, tricks or advice would be greatly appreciated.
http://amsterdamforge.yolasite.com

17096.attach

17097.attach

17098.attach

17099.attach

17100.attach

17101.attach

17102.attach

17103.attach

I would possibly put a 1" clay lining in the bottom just to contain some of the heat so its not lost from the job. As for forming a fire pot, it would just use the ash built up from previous fires so you can change the shape and size of your fire easily and quickly.

Also, I would cut some slots in the sides so you can pass a long job through the fire otherwise you will have to build up a VERY large fire for long work.