I Forge Iron

Calling all Queensland - Gold coast blacksmiths, WE NEED YOU!

Mad Uncle Cliff

The Tree Project is going to the Gold Coast!

There is a conference at the Gold Coast Conference Centre from Tuesday 22 September to Thursday 24 Centre for the Australasian Fire and Emergency Services Council (AFAC).

AFAC have sponsored two Tree Project blacksmiths to come up to the conference, run a booth over three days, inform fire agencies about the project and what it gives to communities recovering from fire, and...

Demo leaf making over one lunchtime of the conference.

Now - whilst Doug (the leaf factory) and Cliff (ouch, I hit my thumb) do own anvils and forges, they are a wee bit too heavy to put on a plane from Melbourne.

So - we need two portable forges, two anvils on stands, coke and accessories and two balcksmiths to join us for a leaf making demo, probably (to be confirmed) on Wednesday 23 September in the forecourt of the Gold Coast Convention Centre.

This is your opportunity to become a key part of the Tree Project, meet a few of the organisers of the project and get a free lunch.

Please contact Cliff Overton by email c.overton@cfa.vic.gov.au or by mobile phone 0448 324 309 ifyou can help out.

Cheers,

for use. ...... i got a small anvil on a stand and a big one on a stump and i dont know how well my gassy will run without air and the charcoal forge, and ill donate a bag or two of charcoal for the cause. and use of the tools and shed to make the balance. and ya can pitch a tent or have a patch of floor here at eagle farm. if you dont get any closer offers. im not at the gold coast.

Edited by double_edge2

what stock do you need ?

We work 10mm or 12mm stainless rod for leaves, and we have some 20mm x 3mm flat that we also work.

I will pack a few lengths in my backpack, maybe some copper too.

On the day - if you wanted to knock out some mild steel leaves purely for demo purposes and give them to the overseas visitors as a promotion of the project, that would be okay - it is more about awareness than leaf production.

As for the date - Wednesday 23 September is 100% confirmed and we have a marquee set up otside the Gold Coast Conference Centre from 9am to 5pm.

This may have been more of an open email for three, rather than a thread - but to anyone else in QLD, if you want to call by on the day and say hi you are MOST welcome!

also have a couple bags of charcoal and a couple of anvils. it should be noted, bush bugger (ifi member from mt isa) has offered me a $50.00 fuel card to help with my fuel, cos he cant be here in person, which i will accept with thanks.

Edited by double_edge2
im on my phone, hence multiple messages

Mick, I can probably lug your stuff down & bring it back, if you can manage without it for a few days. Was also thinking it's time to make myself a gasser - my one brick has seen better days. Guess who I know who knows where to get kawool. ;) I'll give you a ring.

what kawool?......got nuthin sez that on it....:)

17333.attach

Yeah mate, as discussed I wouldn't leave you without your equipment for several days! :o I figure that if I'm at your place the weekend before, it seems a pity not to take advantage of the extra transport. Maybe if there's some non-essential stuff that won't fit in your transpo we can put it in mine.

Kaowool, Isowool, it's all pretty much the same stuff I think. Was just thinking since I want to build a gasser anyway, might as well try & get it done in time for this demo, eh?
Any idea if the woll supplier does castable as well?

Yes, if I may borrow the stump & some gear for the day I'd be grateful mate.

Okay, we have a 3.5m x 3.5m marquee for the day on the Wednesday. I will organise parking and power once I am there on the Monday.

Doug and I will have some stainless stock with us for leaves, but like I said - a few in mild steel as demo's on the day won't hurt so if you want to bring some 10 or 12mm rod then do so.

Doug can bring a leaf veining tool for a 1" hardy hole - will that fit one of the anvils? We will be travelling up with basic tools (hammer and tongs).

Looking forward to it - drinks on me at the end of the day!:cool:

Mine's about an inch, I'll measure it & let you know if it's under.
I scored some 2x4" from the work skip today, so hopefully will have time to make a travelling 'stump'. :)
I'll need parking for one car too please Cliff, if possible. Otherwise there's a public car park a short walk away.

G'day Fellas,

I just got wind of all this commotion, not realising Cliffy had started a thread about the QLD venture. You blokes are generous to a T. It'll be great to get together and talk bashing hot metal stuff, and of course to show what can be done to help shattered communities and individuals. Who'd have thought eh?

As for hardy holes I can manage anything above 1" with a bit of lateral thinking. Making my veining tool smaller would be fun but time consuming.

Looking forward to meeting everyone

Doug

PS. Ditto what Cliff said. If you're reading this and happen upon a few blacksmiths where you'ld never imagined them to be, come and say g'day.