I Forge Iron

glue/resin for metals

Mojo1977

Hi,

I am looking for a resin or glue which I can use with cast/wrought iron or mild steel. Something along th elines of epoxy resin which we use for fastening steel in concrete - except I now want to fasten steel within steel.

In case you are wondering....

I am restoring an old church railing which is set in Limestone using lead. The bottom rail is three inches above the limestone capping with a three inch cast ball every two feet or so providing the spacer. The ball has footing set in the lead. We may have to cut the railing above the ball to avoid damage to the limestone capping. If this is the way forward then we are considering welding threaded bar to the bottom of the rail at each footing, then drilling a hole in each footing, putting the railing back in place with threaded bar in each hole - held in place with a resin suitable for bonding metals.

Any suggestions or advice would be great,

Mojo

Mojo,

Philadelphia Resins Corporation, Philadelphia PA. The product is called Chock Fast. We use this stuff to bed large horsepower(multi thousand) Marine diesel engines. Metal to metal under the most punishing of operating conditions. This is impressive stuff, I have never seen this material fail in service. A very versitile and tough product. It may work for your application. Good luck.
Peter