I Forge Iron

Forge Blower Oil Leak

Aikenvb

I picked up a very nice Champion 400 forge blower at an auction. It seems to be in great shape and puts out great air. I tried to put gear lube in it at the top. The oil ran out like a screen door on a submarine. It appears to be comming out from behind the impeller main shaft. To clean it I had the front cover off the blower housing and I cleaned the impeller. I looked at it and didn't try to take the impeller off. I wasn't sure if after taking the end hex nut off, if the main shaft was threaded or the impeller was pressed onto the main shaft. Now I need to know if there is a seal of some type that would be behind the impeller? Is the impeller pressed or threaded onto the main shaft that is a bolt going through the bottom of the case? What do you do to get the impeller off the shaft with out damaging the impeller or the shaft?

Richard, The Aiken Village Blacksmith, Aiken SC

:confused:

The impeller should be threaded onto the shaft. The jam nut is there simply to lock it in the proper standoff position so the blades don't hit front or back of the case. IIRC, you remove the front of the fan case, then the lock nut, then the impeller unscrews, then the back of the fan case can be removed. The impeller shaft has a worm gear that drives off a gear in the case and there are ball bearings front and rear. The front cap has a hole in it to allow the shaft to exit the housing and probably the best thing you could do to prevent leaks is pack that cap in heavy grease then use just a pinch of oil in the case. As Finnr said, a little dab will do ya'.

It's been a few years since I owned one so maybe someone else can comment.