I Forge Iron

Need Help With some Stainless.

I am making a belt and am trying to make the buckle out of some stainless bar that I have, but not exactly sure how to go about making it. I tried, but for some reason, the stainless started splitting on me. I haven't the slightest clue as to what type of stainless it is, but I know it's some very good quality stuff ( I know this because I know where it came from, and to that I plede the fifth. :) ). But anyway, I was working the stainless at a bright orange heat that started to hurt looking at it. Any help, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated, ( especially usefull help LOL :) ).

P.S.

I'm making the buckle out of stainless cause I'm allergic to the nickel plating they put on buckles and bare mild steel rusts and also makes me break-out in hives as well.

Thanks for any and all help.

Hillbilly

• 2 weeks later...

T-G, I did not know about stainless not taking a through heat. That could be my problem in a nut shell right there. I'm pretty sure that I am getting it to the proper temp, but that could be it. I guess that I'll need to get some charcoal and fire my billy-rigged forge and see if she does the trick.

Indeed. Stainless is so bad a conductor, that unless your piece is extremely short "(less then 6" or so) you dont really need tongs. sometimes, you will find the outside getting hot, but on the inside it is not hot enough. If you are using a torch, you may be heating it too fast, so the inside is still cooler.