I Forge Iron

Walnut handled kitchen chopper

oakwoodforge

Jens,
Did you do any heat treating? I have a whole bunch of bandsaw blade that I thought about turning into kitchen cuttlery. I have experimented a bit with heat treating but was wondering if it was even necessary. Made material a little more rigid but I don't know about holding a better edge. How thick is you knife? Stock removal from original stock or did you weld up for thickness?

Yeah Dodge, I anealed, forged to streighten and taper the blade, normalized after forging, rough ground then heat treated in the charcoal forge. I quenched in oil and tempered at 400 deg for 1 hr in the toaster oven. The spine ended up a little under 1/16 thick and is really flexible, this stuff would make awesome fillet or boning knives. The blades I'm using are industrial metal cutting bandsaw blades made by Uddeholm of their "UBH ANKAR "steel which is a higher alloy carbon steel simular to 15n20 or L6 with extra vanadium and other stuff, even anealed this stuff eats drill bits and grinding belts like you wouldn't belive, " Highly Wear Resistant " according to Uddeholm's website, and that dosen't even begin to describe it :)

Jens